Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Dang Dog Ate My Cake!

I love this.
I especially love the sheet cake that is produced by my local grocery store bakery. It is one of those sheet cakes with the butter cream frosting and the yummy, preservative filled, white cake. Oh, my mouth is watering just thinking about all the yummy goodness that is one of those.

So, Thursday was Steve's birthday. Steve works in the office with HHBL and I. We always get birthday cakes for birthdays and we always get the yummy ones from the bakery at the grocery store. Oh joy, oh joy. Thursday was no exception.

I wasn't in the office on Thursday, I got to work from home (BWAHAHAHAHAHA) but they kindly sent home a piece of the luscious, scrumptious cake for me. A lovely, generous piece that I looked at with longing and anticipation. Oh, I knew what that first bite of lovely, fatty, sugar coma inducing frosting would taste like.

Shivers

But, I wanted to prolong the ecstasy so I only nibbled on it a little. I saved most of it to savor on Friday. I thought about my cake, I dreamed about it. I had a bit more on Friday morning. I went shopping with Progeny #3, Shoe Queen. And then.......disaster struck.

We arrived home from our trip to the thrift store where Shoe Queen had scored some excellent stuff. She wanted to wash said articles of goodness right away. She walked into the laundry room and I heard her say, "Oh Max, you have been a bad boy!!" Hmmmm. It didn't register at first, I was well into doing something in my office. But then, her words pierced my brain like a heat seaking missle. MY CAKE!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I rushed into the kitchen and immediately say the empty space on the counter where my piece of cake had been. I looked once, I looked twice. Perhaps I had moved it? But then, I had to confront the reality that disaster had overtaken my lovely piece of cake. I went into the laundry room and was confronted by..................this.
Oh my cake, my poor, poor cake. What you see is all that remained. Max the Bad Dog had gone into the kitchen, carefully taken the paper plate and cake back to his "house" and lustily consumed everything. Then in gleeful abandon he had licked the plate clean and proceeded to rip all of it to shreds.
This is a close up picture of the disaster. That pink piece of paper is actually a sticky note that told everyone that this was my piece of cake. "This Belongs to Mom" was what I believe it said. Evidently Max the Bad Dog didn't take the time to read what was clearly stated. He just struck like a thief in the night then retreated to his house to await the coming discovery.
Oh mommy, please do not be mad at me for giving into my inner scavenger and eating your cake. I will not do it again I PROMISE. Can we go outside and throw a stick now in recognition of our peace treaty. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.