Friday, October 15, 2010

7 Quick Takes (Vol 89)

7_quick_takes_sm

What? It’s Friday already? Where did my week go? Did someone take it and misplace it and not tell me. Oh well, if it is Friday then that means it is Quick Takes time. So after reading my drivel below be sure to click on the picture to whisk through cyberspace as fast as the speed of the Republicans taking over Congress (and that will be the last political reference) to see what everyone else has been doing.

1.
One of my favorite people is my college roomie, Susan. Her daughter Katie and SiL Ben are currently serving as teachers in Haiti. This is their story. It is about 5 minutes long and so worth the watching.

I am constantly in awe of young people who listen to the Lord’s call. Who don’t look to their own comfort but to what the Lord is calling them to do. Amazing. You can find Ben and Katie’s blog here.

2.
I was at the mall yesterday for a meeting. I never go to the mall. Malls are just not my thing anymore. But it was fun to be there yesterday with a bit of time to spare before my meeting so that I could just watch all the people. Groups of teenage girls clutching bags from Claires, GAP, Sephora etc. Teenage girls never go to the mall by themselves, I certainly didn’t. There were cute little old ladies dressed to the hilt. There were roving groups of boys doing who knows what. There were moms and dads pushing babies in strollers or dragging them along kicking and screaming.

And then there were the people trying to sell me something or douse me with perfume. Grrrr. No  I don’t want to take your survey or sign up for your credit card or smell like a million bucks.

But, it was fun people watching.

3.
Finally finished my first Socktoberfest socks last night. After this little debacle I was worried I might just have lost sock mojo for a bit. But they are done. And I love them, as I do most of the socks that I knit. They will be washed and blocked and photographed today. And then they will be warn. And I am definitely happy that I frogged back that first sock although it almost killed me to do it. Killed me I tell ya!

I am going to have to take a serious look at some of the socks in the hand knit “drawer”. There are about 24 pairs in there at the moment but there are several that I knit early in my sock carrier that aren’t all that good and that I don’t really like to wear. As my hand hovers over the pairs in the morning when I am deciding what to wear it will hover over these socks briefly and then move on. What to do, what to do.

And I have noticed a sad deficiency in the sock colors. I have nothing that is purple or pink (oh no says friend Bonnie) or orange in there. So I cast on something purple last night to start to remedy the situation. There will never be any socks that are yellow as yellow and I don’t mix. Yes I know it is a happy color, just not on me.

4.
Yesterday, no blog post. So sorry. I apologize. I grovel. I ask that you not leave me howling in the emptiness that is cyberspace.

If a blogger howls in cyberspace does anyone hear her?

If you blog do you ever have a day when you get up, look at your computer and think, “It is so not happening today.” Most of the time when that happens I just work through it. There is always something to drone on about about like Aunt Edna talking about her ill fitting dentures.

Disclaimer: I do not have an Aunt Edna. And none of my aunts have dentures…that I know of.

It wasn’t like I didn’t have the time. I just didn’t have the blog mojo. So I took the day off and did laundry.

5.
And speaking of laundry as we were. I love sorting laundry. I love putting the laundry in the washer and the dryer and washing and drying…

And then the system breaks down into total chaos because I really don’t like folding clean laundry. I have always felt that it should really come out of the dryer already folded and ready to be put away. I mean I have done all that other work for the love of Pete. But for some reason the dryer doesn’t cooperate. It just lets the clothes sit there and get wrinkled and makes me come over there and fold them.

How rude.

6.
I had a severe need for something sweet last night and there just wasn’t anything in the house to satisfy. And it was a terrible thing to go through I can tell you. I literally stood in my kitchen and tried to find something.

Apple? No, not in the mood.

Banana? I ate one and that reminded me why I don’t really like bananas…unless they are in banana bread or muffins.

Really, when you are in that kind of mood a piece of healthy fruit is not going to do it for you. It is like your mom telling you that it is liver and onions for dinner when you were so hoping for pizza….or having to drink generic pop when you so wanted a Coke.

Cream Soooooooda (sorry, inside family joke that I couldn’t resist).

But I digress.

So today I am just going to have to make something. Because I just can’t go another day in the Dessert Desert. It is going to be damaging for my psyche which is already a bit screwed up naturally.

And I am sure that I will take pictures of the whole thing and tell you all about it. Now I just have to decide what it will be.

7.
I actually threw away some pictures this week. It was hard. It was wrenching. I felt like I was in a episode of Hoarders and I was clutching my stash to me and yelling, “I don’t know why you all are making me give up my stuff! I need my stuff! There isn’t that much of it!”

I may have been watching too many episodes of Hoarders.

But really, I found a box of pictures in the basement that were actually leftovers from previous scrapping projects. And after determining that I had electronic copy of all of them I took a deep breath and consigned them to the circular file. But believe me they are going to show up here in a future post because they were pretty much all in the category of “Why did I even print this off and what was I thinking.”

You have been warned.

Have a great week all. I am shooting a wedding next Friday. I am scared spitless. Thank goodness they are young and in love and think I am wonderful for doing this. Don’t call them and tell them otherwise. I am sure I will tell you all about it later. I tell you everything you know.

4 comments:

  1. As always, I enjoyed your Friday quick takes. They always remind me how much we have in common, except for the knitting thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have seen maybe two episodes of The Hoarders and had to stop watching. I don't know why, but something about it freaks me out...maybe all the rotten food or critters running through the house? Could be? I just can't imagine it myself. I use to work for a man that owned apartments and we had to go into one once...she was a hoarder. It was surreal being in that place...it freaked me out actually. If you saw this woman you would have never ever guessed...always dressed to the nines. I couldn't figure out how she did it because her tub and her sinks were all filled with stuff!! Maybe that is why I can't watch the show...flashbacks to that day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to blog every (week)day... but yes, there are days when, like you say, I won't have my blogging mojo. That's when having photos in my archives comes in handy! :)

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regarding #5, PUHLEEZE! My husband is supposed to have the laundry responsibility and he does a great job of shoving clothes into the washer and then the dryer. Ooh, ahh. Such a big job. Then he takes stuff out of the dryer, brings it upstairs and dumps it on the bed. The only part of work in laundry is the folding. I'm not ranting at you; I'm ranting at him. You just happen to think the way he does. :P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.