Thursday, September 24, 2009

And Then There are THOSE Days

Have you ever noticed that when you most want a dish to turn out......sometimes it just doesn't. There must be some sort of law, like Murphy's Law, only it relates to cooking and baking. This of course means that if you:

1. Have someone coming to dinner

and

2. Are making something that you haven't made in a while

then

3. Things will not work out as well as you had planned.

Is this Sour Cream Pound Cake not a thing of beauty. I bought strawberries at the store this week and when I knew that we were going to have a house guest this evening then I thought, "Ohhhhh, Sour Cream Pound Cake and strawberries for dessert. That would be excellent." And so, I started on making the pound cake.

Now I have to tell you that it has been a while since I have made this cake. And for some reason I couldn't find the springform pan that I usually use for this cake. I looked and looked but it has disappeared, taken a hike, gone to Bermuda. It is not here.

So scrounging around I found my bundt pan........

I just had to put this clip in. It is one of my favorites and since I was using my bundt pan it seemed appropriate.

I mix the cake, I liberally spray and flour the pan because the bundt cake has all those little indentations. The cake tastes yummy in raw form so I knew it would taste yummy when it was done. Yes I ate some of the batter. Baking has it's privileges.

I wait, I do some other things, I make Three Cheese Chicken Lasagna for dinner. And then "Ding" the timer goes off and I take the cake out and put it on the counter to cool.

Time passes, time goes by, the world turns. It is time to turn the cake out onto the pretty plate. And.......

Disaster.

This is why I don't like to use that bundt pan. Because it hates me and tries to make my day a miserable one by holding onto my cake with all of it's little teflon covered crevasses. It was bad.

I will tell you how bad it was. It was so bad that the dog retreated into his house because it was too scary to be in the kitchen, that is how bad it was.

Let's have another look shall we, at the disaster that became my Sour Cream Pound Cake. Yes, I know that it will taste good no matter what it looks like. Believe me, I am going to eat some of it and enjoy it. But......we have a dinner guest who is also staying overnight.......and he is a business associate of HHBL's ....and besides I just wanted it to look nice DOGGONIT!

And once again here is the disaster. Believe me, it looks better than it did because I dug out from the stooooopid bundt pan all the pieces that had stuck there and then stuck them haphazardly in place on the offending cake. That one glaring indentation in the cake, that crater in my lovely dessert. Well, I ate that piece. So sue me.

Now, where is the knife and the whipped cream.

Edit: I did forget to say that the cake was delicious. I had a piece for breakfast.

3 comments:

  1. I can picture all too well what it was like to be there. (Poor, poor Max.) I've had the same experience. The only reason I ever use one of those dastardly fluted cake pans is when I'm baking something "important." And that's when Murphy's Cooking Law invariably kicks in. Grrr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "it's a bundt."

    Just slather it with some icing. I understand your disappointment, I'd feel the same way. But really it's a good thing. When a cake or cookie breaks, all the calories fall out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that movie! What a perfect, hilarious clip for this post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.