Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Books I remember fondly

I am a reader. I read a lot. In fact, I am sometimes reluctant to tell people how many books I read on average in a year because they look at me funny or assume that I can't possibly accomplish anything else in life and read that many books. I can and I do. That is just the way that it is. I love to read and I would rather read than do most anything else.

I don't remember when I actually started reading, I just always remember having a book with me. Heaven forbid if I found myself someplace and had to kill some time and didn't have something to read (I am still like that). Horror!!

I recently read a thread on another blog where the question was posed, " What books that you read between childhood and young adulthood influenced you the most? What books do you remember most vividly?" Of course that got me to thinking (a dangerous thing I know). So, without further ado, here is a list of books that I think of fondly, remember with gratitude for the hours of pleasure that they gave. It is not an exhaustive list by any means. I have added a small amount of commentary with them so this post will run a tad long. It is my blog and I can do that.

Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott. I know that most every girl of a certain age has read Little Women and loved it. I love it too but it isn't my favorite LMA book, Eight Cousins is. Actually, it is probably a tie between this book and An Old Fashioned Girl. I still read both of them every few years just to re-experience the joy that is Louisa May Alcott.
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R.Tolkien. Listen all you "johnny come latelies" I read LOTR when it was still geeky to do so. When most people didn't even know who J.R.R.Tolkien was. I LOVE these books. Can I say it again, I LOVE THESE BOOKS (don't you hate it when someone uses too many capitals). I actually have four different sets of these books (I just keep wearing them out). I can remember the first time I read through them and was absolutely mesmerized. That feeling hasn't left me in all the years since that first time.
Life and Death of a Pharaoh Tutankhamen. When I was growing up we lived in the same Illinois town as my mom's parents Grandma and Grandpa Pringle. Many was the Sunday we could be found at their house for dinner. I spent many hours reading this book, cover to cover. I was fascinated. It was my favorite thing. In fact I have a picture, taken in the 70's when we were visiting my "grands" in Florida, with a rather sullen me holding the book. When my grandparents went home to the Lord and their household was broken up the book went to my aunt. I was bereft. Imagine my utter joy when last year, as I was wandering the stacks of Half Price Books, there it was!! I pulled the book off the shelf, opened it up and was transported.
Grace Livingston Hill. This is not a book but an author. I spent several summers reading every GLH that I could get my hands on. The Ben Franklin by my parents cottage actually sold them and if there were any new ones I bought them immediately. Sigh.
The Holocaust. by Martin Gilbert.
In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden. I think I bought this book at the flea market but I am not sure. I just know that it was one of my favorites. I have gone on to read most of the works of Rumer Godden but this is still my favorite.
God is An Englishman by R.F.Delderfield. Another one of those books purchased at the Ben Franklin. Long and involved, just the way I liked (and like) them.
Anne of Green Gables by L.M.Montgomery. What girl worth her reading salt hasn't read and loved these books. I still read them and love them.
The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner.

Well, this list could go on forever and actually has. I had better quit and go do something constructive.......like read a book.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.