Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Day 71–Apple Ambrosia

Day 71 - Apple Ambrosia

Canon 450D; Tamron 18-270 @ 270mm; ISO 400; f6.3; 1/8 sec

Please ignore the slightly artful fuzziness of the picture. Shooting at 1/8 sec really calls for a tripod and I was literally too lazy to walk the 20 feet into my office and get out one of the FOUR tripods that I own.

Yes I own four tripods, doesn’t everyone? They all have specific uses thankyouverymuch.

Rabbit trail.

What I wanted to tell you about is what is in that glass. Homemade Cinnamon Applesauce.

Just pause for a moment and let that sink in. Warm homemade applesauce. Can you hear the angels singing in heavenly delight? I sure can. I wasn’t really intending to make applesauce. I hadn’t ever done it before and I wasn’t inclined until recently. And that is because last October I might have overindulged in buying locally grown apples.

Like by a peck of apples or so.

They had been residing in the garage refrigerator and even though they were still probably eat worthy they were getting a bit wrinkled. I hate to throw anything away and I was contemplating making them into pies when all of a sudden I thought….APPLESAUCE!

Seriously easy to make. Peel and core all apples. Cut into chunks and place them lovingly into the larges crock pot that I have. Add just a bit of water, the juice of two lemons, salt, sugar to taste and a large cinnamon stick. Put the crock pot on low and then just leave it there until the apples are mushy soft. Stir it once or twice if you think about it. I let it cook for close to 8 hours. When it is done the apples are soft and you can just mash them with your handy masher if you like chunky applesauce. OR, if you like yours smoother then use an immersion blender.

And if you tell me you don’t have an immersion blender then I am just going to shake my head sadly at you. It is the most useful of tools.

The applesauce in the above picture was warm.

Oh Mother of All that is Holy and Good it was fabulosity.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.