I am in a mood.
I am without major pithy things to say.
All I can come up with is a list of things that I like and don’t like about bike riding. That thing that seems to occupy more than it’s fair share of space in my brain at the moment.
Check back tomorrow and I might have actually come up with something a bit more exciting…..
But I can’t promise anything.
1. I think that there are not too many things better than a bike ride through our rural landscape early on a Saturday morning. Peaceful, quiet, misty, hot, humid. The sound of the wind whistling in my ears and the gasping for breath as I labor up a hill.
I was sort of exaggerating about that last part.
Not the gasping part because I certainly seem to do a lot of that but the fact that I might enjoy that sound.
2. I do not like the fact that I actually have to work at this. No I do not like that at all. I have had way too many things that have come easily in my life.
School? No problemo.
Gardening? Ace in the hole.
Having babies? I popped them out.
Organizing things? I am your girl.
But exercise? Oh for the love of all that is holy it is hard. I was born to be a couch potato with a book in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other.
But I suppose that is why it is good for me.
3. The best thing about a bike ride? The last downhill to the house. I pedal as fast as I can. I am like a horse that knows the barn is nearby. Home I go.
4. Sometimes the hill in front of you isn’t as bad as you think it is…..and sometimes it is much, much worse.
5. The more miles I put on the bike…..
The more calories that I burn…..
The more that I can eat during the day.
I like this aspect of biking a whole lot.
I am counting my calories these days, not specifically to lose weight but to break some eating habits that had gotten out of hand. If I know in my mind that I have to write down everything that I eat then I am MUCH more mindful of what I am eating. I can lie to others but I can’t lie to myself.
OK, I can lie to myself but I am trying not to.
And please do not in any way EVER think that I am dieting. That word, to me, is worse that the F--- word (name that movie!). I will never diet again as long as I live.
6. When on a bike ride, especially early in the morning smells are greatly exaggerated. I have to say that I like this. I can tell that someone is doing laundry or baking or cooking.
I can smell the damp earth and the flowers that are blooming. The farms that we ride by are especially fragrant.
And that raccoon that has been sitting by the side of the road for two days?
7. Often times I get to ride behind this……
I like that a lot.
8. I am not all that fond of the diaper bike shorts look. But today I took the second bike ride in as many days without my diaper shorts and I can tell you that there are certain parts of my nether regions that are very unhappy with me at the moment.
I only have one pair of diaper shorts at the moment and I haven’t finished the laundry. Sorry.
9. When I ride The ‘Hood that means that I am riding by myself and I need some extra help getting myself going. This is then the only time that I ride and listen to a playlist at the same time. I like to be able to be aware of my surroundings the rest of the time. But not in the hood.
And as usual the list is rather….
But you really shouldn’t be surprised at that.
I mean who wouldn’t get revved up by listening to Pink.
Have you seen Andrea Dorman's ode to bikes on youtube? I think you would love it. I'd give you the link, but I'm at work and can't get on youtube. I think you'd love it if you watched. Happy day, friend, happy day.ReplyDelete
That is one random mix- I love it.ReplyDelete
I am not a fan of bike riding. It hurts my bum. I tried to use B's bmx as its the only bike of his that fits me.. and I swear the seat wedged itself right in between my but bones and bounced back and forth. TMI?
So good you are still plugging along!!