I am taking a break from 7 Quick Takes to bring you this little post. It is appropriate for the day.
You know, I hesitated to do this little exercise, I really did. It seems so self-absorbed, so me oriented, so personal, so…….
Hey, isn’t this MY BLOG? And we know that it is all about me right? RIGHT??
OK, so maybe it isn’t all about me. And I wouldn’t want it to be but sometimes it just has to be and we will have to live with it. And I have a feeling that this is going to be a very interesting and perhaps instructive thing to do.
You all know about my struggles in the past with feeling worthy and liking myself. The thought of actually thinking about and then putting on virtual paper 50 things that I like about myself is a rather daunting task.
I have to be honest here and say that the idea for this is not mine. Are there really any new ideas in the bloggysphere? I think perhaps not. But as is often the case I followed a link to a blog that took me to another blog that…..well you get the picture. I read through those blog posts and others like them and thought, “You know this might be a really
fun constructive thing to do.” I should have thought more along the lines of painful and uncomfortable. So here is my list of 50 things that I like about myself. You can’t imagine how long it took to come up with 50 things!!!
1. The gray streak in my hair. Crazy I know but I really do love it.
2. My quirky sense of humor.
3. the fact that I love Bluegrass Music. Bluegrass Rules!
4. I am creative
5. I can name all the Kings of England from George I to QE2
6. I can make people laugh.
7. I am organized. It brings me intense pleasure to organize things. Oh yes it does.
8. I can knit the most wonderful socks. Who wouldn’t love hand knit socks.
9. My toe rings. Oh I love my toe rings. Can I wear them until I am 90 and beyond?
10.The fact that I am willing to work until I figure something out.
11. that I can laugh at myself. I might as well, there is plenty to laugh at.
12. that I consume books. Can’t get enough of them. Bibliographic obesity
13. I take odd but creative photographs. It’s the way I roll.
14. I can ask questions like, “I wonder if whales sleep?” and be totally serious (they do, HA!)
15. I make killer Coconut Candy. Totally addictive and to die for.
16. Further on that vein, I am a fairly good cook. And I love to cook.
17. that I am “spacially oriented”. Give me a set of directions to put something together and I am good to go.
18. Liverwurst & sweet pickle sandwiches on toasted bread with mayo is sandwich nirvana
19. Most days I like being me.
20. Beets are the vegetable from the gods and I would eat them every day if I could.
21. I have learned to say, “It is what it is” during certain situations. I can’t change everything to my personal liking.
22. I am willing to try any food once. Otherwise how would I know that octopus with olive sauce is really, really good. The one exception is liver. Liver is an invention of the devil.
23. I think that the sport of Curling is wonderful. And that Cricket is pretty good too.
24. with age has come the ability to speak my mind.
25. I have no problem saying, “I had a hysterectomy and it was the best thing in the world!”
26. I can accurately score a baseball game and that I taught myself how to do it.
27. I can name the 4 Japanese aircraft carriers that were sunk at the Battle of Midway. This will come in handy someday I just know it.
28. That HHBL knows that a good present for me is a new set of screw drivers.
29. I would choose to watch Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movies every day if I could.
30. The curls in my hair.
31. That even though I suffer from BIMNIDS that I am working to overcome.
32. I can procrastinate with the best of them if I want to.
33. Whistling is what I do when I am nervous…like all the time when I was teaching Cartoon Girl to drive. But my grandpa taught me to whistle so I love it.
34. My friends are the most awesome people in the whole wide world.
35. HHBL is the most fabulous husband in the world….and he is ALL mine.
36. Most of the time I have a sunny, if somewhat odd, disposition. The “bad” days don’t come that often.
37. I am a Star Trek fan. Always have been. Always will be. Live long and prosper.
38. Read Lord of the Rings LONG before it was “popular” to do so, like when I was in 7th grade. And I read them on a yearly basis for many years.
39. Dunkin Donuts Chocolate Glazed donuts and a cup of coffee is just about the perfect snack.
40. Adaptability thou art my middle name…at least at the moment anyways.
41. I go to bed at 10p, I get up at 5a. I love 5a.
42. Regarding #34, I also whistle when I am happy.
43. Gardening makes me happy and is genetically passed on from my parents and grandparents.
44. I have learned that it is OK to sit and read a book in the afternoon. I don’t have to be constantly busy.
45. I would rather give a hug than a handshake
46. The grocery store! I love to go grocery shopping, especially with my mom.
47. If I hold an opinion firmly I have taken the time to think it through and do the research.
48. I love to learn.
49. People watching! I love to watch people. Thank you Grandpa Pringle
50. I sing loudly in the car. No one can see me right?
Whew! I thought I would never get that done! It was much harder than I thought, not because there aren’t 50 things that I like about me but just that it was hard to put them into words.
I thought this might be an appropriate post for today because….
I am 50 years old. I have passed the half century mark. I have been married half my ENTIRE life.
There, I have said it. Now I can go and do something fun. Like watch the painters paint my house. But HHBL is taking me out to dinner so that is good.
Can you think of 50 things that you like about yourself? 25 maybe? If so leave me a comment, I would love to know what they are.