Thursday, August 29, 2013

Dirt The Household Chameleon.

I have come to a terrible realization. It has become obvious to me that at OCK I did not wash my kitchen floor NEARLY as often as I should have.

Not. Nearly.

How do I know this? Oh it is simple. I am doing some of the same cooking and canning chores that I had been doing at OCK. Nothing new or different here at Chez Knit Deux. But here at CKD I have a white tile floor that extends from the kitchen and eat in area all the way to into the laundry room.

And it seems like it is CONSTANTLY in need of vacuuming and more often than not mopping as well.

Folks I am vacuuming that area EVERY DAY. Sometimes twice a day. And it still seems to want to be cleaned. I can see the greeblies and spots of unknown substance that has fallen from the counter as I am cooking. I walk into that area and see a spot and want to clean.

Imagine what it looked like this morning when I canned 5 pints of pickled beets!!! It looked like a crime scene with splatter everywhere. No one said that I was a neat cook. I like to experience the whole process and sometimes that means that stuff is flying all over.

I look down.

GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY!

My floor is filthy dirty.

Must vacuum!! Must mop!!

And it occurred to me this afternoon, as I was running my nifty little stick vacuum over the offending floor space and wondering if it was too soon to mop (it was, I still have pickles to process), I realized that I didn’t wash the hardwood floor at OCK all that much. And when I mean not all that much I really mean like maybe once a month….if I remembered…and there was obvious dirt. And if there was obvious dirt then I have to think that there was also a vast ocean of unobvious dirt.

STOP SCREAMING!!! I know, I know. I am a terrible housekeeper. I should have thirty lashes with a wet noodle.

I just think that the dirt, like a chameleon in it’s environment, blended into it’s surroundings. Fooling me into thinking that I wasn’t as messy when cooking as I obviously am.

I am totally skeeved out at the moment at the thought of how gross and disgusting that floor actually probably was. No wonder Max the Magnificent loved to spend a large amount of time licking along the baseboards.

Gak!

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain. I even went so far as to purchase an electric floor cleaner when I realized my floors weren't getting washed but every 2-3 months. I know! They didn't LOOK dirty.... Hubby was so proud of me as he pulled out the credit card to buy me this helpful device. I've used it once. I don't like getting it dirty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.