Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving

Do you ever just say "Thanks" for the little things in life? I am not talking about the little old lady driving 20mph in a 35mph zone who makes you slow down and then prevents you from getting a ticket or being involved in that big accident. You were speeding and late, that isn't anything to be proud of.

No, I mean thanks for all the little things in life that we take for granted. Actually, some of them may be little things to others but big things to you. It is good for you to sit down and write it out, not just to pop little thank you arrows to "the man upstairs" (oh I hate that phrase but this post isn't about that). Today take the time to write out what you are thankful for. Some of them may be common, all of them may be. But when you write something down it gives that thing substance, weight, importance. It makes them real to you, it makes you think.

So, here is my "thankful" list. It may get a tad long but this is my blog and I can do what I want. Hehehehehehehe.

- For my health and the health of my family. After the medical issues that we have had this year that is saying something.
- That I can spend this holiday with my husband, children, parents, brother and his family and various boyfriends. The more the merrier.
- That my home is paid for. In these times that is a biggie.
- for the 5 hawks that we saw yesterday on the drive to the cottage. I don't know what it is about hawks but I just love to see them.
- for my country. I still believe that the United States of America is the best country to live in. I have been to plenty of other countries and I haven't yet found one that I would rather live in. Think about that when you complain about the election process or the price of gas or whatever. You have those things available to you without any difficulty. In most countries in the world that isn't the case.
- for my love of photography. When you begin to look at the world around you in a closer way you see just how marvelous is the world that the Lord has given us.
- for books.
- for a good glass of wine. Not just any glass of wine but a good one. A bad glass of wine is nothing to be thankful for. Why bother if it tastes yucky.
- for laughter with my daughters. There are few things in life that make me happier than to see my girls laughing with each other and with me. We watched old family videos last night and laughed until we cried. It was awesome.
- for good friends. I have some of the best friends in the world. They are there for me whatever the situation. If I need a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold, prayer for any situation, laughter, they are there for me. My friend Dottie and I are going to the spa next week to spend the day wallowing in decadence. Well, I don't know about the decadence cuz I haven't ever been to the spa but it has to be better than just putting lotion on my feet in the morning.
- for my excellent Mothers-in-law and Fathers-in-law. You might notice that those are plural. Yes I have two of each do to divorce and remarriage. All four of them are great and I am thankful that they are in my life.
- for my puppy dog Max (who is actually 7). He is the best dog in the entire world.
- for that first (and only) cup of coffee in the morning. It is just so good.
- for all the good times that we have had here at The Cottage for the last 41 years. More fun than a barrel of monkeys and a little cleaner too, though not always, especially during the "algae years".
- for a wonderful husband Dan. He is my best friend, my travel buddy, my lover, my computer "go to" guy, the person who can make me laugh the most. I am so thankful that the Lord brought him into my life back in 1983. We will celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary next May. I love you babe.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving all. Eat a lot of turkey, dressing and all the trimmings. Enjoy your family.

2 comments:

  1. Thanksgiving Prayer

    O God, when we have food, help us to remember the hungry.

    When we have work, help us to remember the jobless.

    When we have a home, help us to remember those who have no home at all.

    When we am without pain, help us to remember those who suffer, and in remembering, help destroy our complacency.

    Awaken our compassion, and cause us to be concerned enough to help - by word and deed - those who cry out for what we take for granted.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.