Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Meme On reading

I found this meme over at Writing and Living blog and thought it was fun. I would tag others if I had any "bloggy" friends but, I don't. If you find this and think it is fun then feel free to use it. Here we go.
1. Do you remember how you developed a love of reading?
I don't remember when I didn't read. I just remember that I always seemed to be reading
a book. The library was like Nirvana for me.
2. What are some books you loved as a child?
I think that depends on my age. The books that I most remember reading when I was
growing up were An Old Fashioned Girl, Little Men and Eight Cousins by Louisa May Alcott,
The Boxcar Children, The Sugar Creek Gang (my grandpa gave us the WHOLE set),
King of the Wind by Marguerite Henry, Bambi
3. What is your favorite genre?
I am not sure that I have a favorite genre. I tend to read across most genres
4. Do you have a favorite novel?
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R.Tolkien
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
5. When/where do you usually read?
I usually sit in my "red chair" in my office. The red leather chair was once owned by my
paternal grandparents. It still smells the same as when I was a child. I remember curling
up in this chair at their house and reading. It is a tad weather beaten but still one of my
favorite pieces of furniture.
6. Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time?
I try not to have this happen but sometimes it does.
7. Do you read non-fiction in a different way or place than you read fiction?
I read in the same place but not in the same way. I read fiction for pure pleasure. I read
non-fiction for both pleasure and knowledge. I tend to write down quotes from non-fiction
books and read them slower.
8. Do you buy most of the books you read, or borrow them or check them out of the library?
I would be extremely poor if I bought all the books I read (I average 125 books per year).
I use the library a lot, I buy some books and I also use Paperback Book Swap as much as
is possible.
9. Do you keep most of the books you buy?
No. If it makes sense to keep them as part of a collection then yes but otherwise I try to
pass them on.
10. If you have children, what are some of the favorite books you have shared with them?
Anne of Green Gables by L.M.Montgomery
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R.Tolkien
The Little House on the Prairie series
11. What are you reading now?
Moment of Truth in Iraq by Michael Yon
12. Do you keep a "To Be Read" list?
Absolutely. It just keeps getting longer and longer
13. Do you keep a "Have Read" list? (I added this one)
Again, absolutely. I maintain an Excel spreadsheet.
14. What is next to be read?
Not sure yet. The possibilities are endless.
15. What books would you, or do you like to re-read?
The Lord of the Rings
An Old Fashioned Girl
Harry Potter series
Pride and Prejudice

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.