Friday, April 17, 2009

7 Quick Takes (Vol 18)

I am amazed at how fast time flies sometimes. Here it is Friday again and time for another Quick takes.
-1-
Life is slowly getting back to normal after the surgery several weeks ago. I am still not feeling totally myself (my children will tell you that I am never TRULY normal) but every day is better. At about two weeks post-op I really started to feel better and that is dangerous. When things start to feel like they are healed then you want to do more than you should. Now that my mom has gone home and I am by myself during the day I have to remind myself NOT to pick up that large basket of things that need to go upstairs. So annoying I can tell you.
-2-
This is the time of year that I really start to get the "itch" to work outside in the garden. Of course, I have to temper all that enthusiasm with the reminder that I can't lug large amounts of anything but that doesn't mean that I can't go out and do a tad bit of weeding now that the days are getting nicer. This is also the time of year when I really miss my veggie garden. At our old house we had this wonderful, open "meadowy" area that was perfect for a garden. Sun all day long. Oh I could grow lovely things like tomatoes, green beans, beets, radishes, zucchini, herbs, rhubarb. It was wonderful. But with this house......not so good. I lots of lovely beds and grow lots of lovely things but none of them are veggies because there just isn't enough sustained sunlight. I yearn for veggies. Maybe in the next house.
-3-
During this recovery process we have been receiving meals during week nights. I actually have 15 friends who signed up to bring us meals. I am amazed. We have had a wide variety of things and everything has been delicious. When my friend Sue decided to organize this I was a tad skeptical. First I wondered if I actually had 15 friends who wanted to make me meals. The "I am small and inadequate and no one likes me" monster rearing it's ugly head. Then I wondered if I really needed meals. My mom was going to be here for part of that time. But I have to admit that it has been a great blessing not to have to worry about cooking in the evenings. We have had such a variety of things to eat, everything from pork tenderloin to chicken enchiladas to fish. And the desserts! I really need to get well enough to get some exercise in or I am going to be as big as a barge. So Karen, Cindy, Hope, Marilyn, Caroline, Jen, Sue, Susie, Sue, Lynelle, Dottie, Ann, Kelly, Lauren and Cheryl this is a BIG thank you to all of you for taking such good care of us. I love you guys and thank the Lord every day for your friendship.
-4-
Speaking of exercising, I am dying to get back to it. Two years ago that just wouldn't have been a phrase that would have come out of my mouth I can tell you. I didn't exercise, I didn't think that it was particularly necessary for me. Yes, I took the occasional walk around the neighborhood, ignoring the fact that a two mile leisurely walk just about did me in. I had long ago decided that I would never diet again (having been a serial dieter for many years) and for some reason I lumped exercise in with the dieting. It is amazing how you can lie to yourself about what you need to be doing with your life and body. I would look at myself in the mirror and say, "Hey, you don't look too bad. So what if your jeans are a little tight. It is probably almost 'that time of the month' and it will get better later." But then my oldest daughter joined Curves and told me I had to do that as well and for once I listened and the rest is history. Now, when I am not recovering from surgery that is, I exercise 4-5 times a week.
-5-
You know you are finally an adult and a parent when you are praying fervently for your oldest child to get a job that has actual benefits and all that adult like stuff. The oldest progeny will be graduating next month and jobs in her particular field of endeavor....cartooning.....are a tad scarce at the moment. She is an awesome cartoonist and illustrator so if you need one let me know and I will let her know and then.....

Also, isn't it funny how our prayers for our children change as they get older. Always you are praying for their health and safety but at some point you also start praying that the Lord will be preparing just the right spouse for them and that they will claim Christ as their own and that they will get a job. Believe me, just because the oldest two are 22 and 21 doesn't mean that I don't pray for safety for them. I mean oldest lives in Manhattan at the moment and the middle daughter is going to be spending 4 months in Uganda (with perhaps a side trip to Pakistan) come fall so prayers for safety are a daily thing. It is just that prayers for your children when they are older are different.

-6-
One of the great things about this resting period is that I have been able to give myself permission to read A LOT. Now I read a fair amount of books as it is but since I had the surgery on March 31st I have logged 12 books into my "book database". Of course, I know that I can't indulge in the hours of book reading forever but I can enjoy those hours now.

-7-
I just wanted to end this post with a HUGE thank you to my mom who came out and spent 12 days with us to take care of me after the surgery. Mom, we couldn't have made it through without you. You cleaned my house, cleaned the bathrooms, did the laundry, carted me around in the car and all those other things that we take for granted. Thanks for giving us 12 days out of your busy schedule and also thanks to Dad who went home after 4 days and coped without her for another week and a half. You guys are the greatest.



2 comments:

  1. #3 "I am small and inadequate and no one likes me" monster - I really, really hate this monster. I have a pretty large one myself.

    Glad you are feeling better. The recovery process is not the most fun process there is. In fact, it pretty well stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see that you're reading John Adams, too. I'm going to be discussing it this week at my blog Semicolon, and you're welcome to come by and add your two cents worth.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.