Saturday, June 21, 2014

7 Quick Takes (Vol 264 - The Late Edition)

7_quick_takes_sm1

I’m late! I’m late! But the 6 hour drive yesterday and then unloading the car just did me in. You know what you need to do. Click on the picture above to be whisked, at the speed of the shredder at the IRS taking care of those pesky hard drives, over to Conversion Diary to see what is going on.

Blather better late than never.

1.
We have now had our first month of poultry CSA from Brunty Farms.

Oh my stars and garters are the eggs fabulous. Their flavor is very indicative of what the chickens are eating. When I went to get the CSA I was able to see boatloads of chickens just hanging out in the yard and feasting on veggie matter and bugs and you can tell by the fabulous taste of the eggs. That two dozen eggs will be gone LONG before the next pick up next month.

I also cooked some of the chicken for dinner and it was delicious as well. A much more pronounced chicken flavor as well as juicy and tender. By the end of the four pick ups we will definitely have enough chicken for most of the year. HHBL and I don’t eat 5 chickens worth every month so most of it will go in the freezer to be used over the course of the year.

The eggs will be the thing that I already know we will miss when the season is over.

2.
As you might have guessed, I spent all week out at the Parental Unit Mimi’s house helping her to clean out a few things.

We laughed a lot as we would pull stuff out of boxes and relive the memories.

Sorting out a family home requires a great deal of laughter.

And possibly some alcohol as well. We actually finished off the last growler of Special Forces IPA that my dad brought back from Crown Brewing sometime last fall. Technically their IPA isn’t supposed to sit around that long, especially when the bottle has been located in the garage for the last few months. But it wasn’t all that bad, a bit cloudier than I might have expected but the carbonation was still good.

We CERTAINLY didn’t want it to go to waste!

3.
Audiobooks, I couldn’t do the drive out to the Meemster’s house without audiobooks.

And we know how I love my audiobooks. They get me through cleaning the house and walking and knitting and driving. But when I am driving by myself I have to listen to an audiobook that is a bit more on the “grab me” side. I have been working my way through The Civil War series by Shelby Foote, read by Grover Gardner. I am LOVING it but…..it isn’t the kind of book you want to listen to when driving across the flatness that is western Ohio and portions of Indiana. So I switched to start my re-listen through the Harry Potter series, which haven’t done for a number of years. Harry and the gang can keep me engaged so that I don’t kill myself or anyone else while driving.

Audiobooks, how I love you.

Now if J.K. Rowling would just allow the series to be sold on Audible. Yes, I know that I could download them from Pottermore…but I choose not to.

4.
I don’t like to actually pay for apps for my iPhone or iPad. I rarely do so unless the app costs very little.

Guys, last week I forked over $20 for an app for my iPad. Yes, you read that correctly……TWENTY DOLLARS.

And I am going to say right off the bat…….the app is totally and completely worth every penny that I paid for it. It is called KnitCompanion and all I can say is that it is the most wonderful thing to have for knitting. It can hold my pdf knitting patterns. I can mark them up and keep track of where I am and all manner of things. I can highlight in multiple colors. I can see ALL the pages from a multiple page pdf. Mother of all that is holy and good this thing is fabulosity itself.

The Ferrari/Jaguar/BMW of knitting apps. It makes me want to start a new lace project just so that I can yellow hightlight and underline and annotate.

5.
I might have bought sock yarn this week.

I made my usual stop at the yarn store in my growing up town. I like to support the LYS when I can and the lady who owns this shop really has a diverse selection of yarn, which is nice, even though her prices are not on the low side. I always try to go in and buy something……and I might have bought a couple of skeins of sock yarn.

It would have been fine if that is where it ended. But that very same day when I bought just those two little skeins of yarn……

I also bought sock yarn online……..and it was more than two skeins of yarn.

But the price was such that I really couldn’t pass it up. It would have been a crime to do so. A crime I tell you! Regia sock yarn, which I happen to LOVE, at 75% off for a bag of 10 skeins……and there were only two bags of the mixed skeins to be had.

A crime not to. I have to keep my feet happy. That is my story and I am sticking to it! The package should be here on Friday so I had better finish up the pair of socks that I started this week.

6.
The Meemster and I were bemoaning this week that no one writes letters anymore. We all do email, which is faster to be sure but who saves their emails to remember in years to come what they said to someone. CERTAINLY the IRS doesn’t do that……

The reason I say this is because I brought back a whole passel of family letters that the Meemster had stored in the basement. We went through some of them and it was so interesting just to read through the day to day lives of my grandparents. My mom and her parents and their parents were all very prolific letter writers as was my dad’s mother and her sisters.

I have A LOT of reading to do.

7.
And here are a few of my Instagram for the past week. There aren’t that many as for the most part I was elbow deep in cleaning out spaces.

2014-06-15 19.18.462014-06-17 18.46.09-22014-06-18 13.52.46-12014-06-18 18.42.08-22014-06-19 17.19.182014-06-19 17.41.16

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.