Thursday, January 15, 2009

RIP Patrick McGoohan and Ricardo Montalban

Goodness, two of my favorites gone on the same day.

I have a feeling that many only know Patrick McGoohan from his role as Edward I in Braveheart. He was so deliciously evil in that role I will admit. I also knew about Patrick McGoohan because he and I shared the same birthday. Just one of those odd coincidences.

But, if all that you know about him is his roll in Braveheart or on Columbo then you are missing out on one of the best things and that is The Prisoner. This TV show, which only ran for 17 episodes (one season) was a favorite of my fathers as I recall (correct me if I am wrong there Dad). I remember watching this show and always waiting for the weird white bubble thing to come and stop him from escaping. The freaky part was that there was some person face plastered on the inside of the bubble.

Here is just a little snippit for The Prisoner. I think I will have to see if the series is available on Netflix. Check this series out, you won't be sorry. "I am not a number, I am a free man!"


The other death yesterday was Ricardo Montalban. Of course everyone knows that he was Mr. Roarke on Fantasy Island. Admit it, you watched that show every week like I did. Admit it! I just had to see which low level star had scored a guest spot. It was one of those 70's shows that you just had to watch.

But to me, Ricardo Montalban will always always be Khan Noonien Singh. Oh Khan, you revenge driven space crazy. The character first appeared in a classic episode "Space Seed" of the original Star Trek. Well worth watching if you can find the DVD (which I have if you need it). Then, he popped up again in the movie Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan and saved that movie series from horribleness. If you have seen the first Star Trek movie then you will understand that it had no where to go but up. The DH will tell you that I have seen The Wrath of Khan more times than I can count. I just love it (along with The Hunt for Red October).

Here is one of my favorite scenes from the movie. In fact, I believe that a viewing of the entire movie may be on tap for today. Just to say goodbye.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite line from "The Prisoner" always was . . . "Who is number one?"

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.