Monday, January 7, 2013

Day 7 - Brassica Oleracea

Day 7 - Brassica Oleracea

Canon 450D; Tamron 18-270mm @ 92mm; ISO 100; f65.6; 1/20 sec; VC off

Oh stop turning your nose up at my Brussels sprouts! These grew in the garden this year, anxiously watched by LaurenLeap and myself. And when I say anxiously I do mean anxiously. We fretted over the plants like old women over their pensions. For the two years before we had experienced total Brussels sprouts failure.

Horrors!!!!

They would look like they were happy and then all of a sudden they would “bloom out”, fall off and the plants would look sickly. Fall would arrive without any expectation of Brussels sprouts.

Why Brussels sprouts today? Well, I could steal a quote from George Mallory and say, “Because they were there!” and that would be true. And I can hear LaurenLeap questioning why I am just now processing these, in January, when she harvested them in November and gave them to me then.

They have been sitting in my frig all that time.

I hang my head in shame. The holidays arrived and there were parties and more parties and that engagement thing and they just sort of hung out in the back of the frig and waited for me to notice them…..which I did today with some surprise.

But while I was in the process of getting them ready to process the sun shone down upon them as if in blessing. And they called to be photographed. And so I have done that.

And now to eat them with a bit of butter and salt. Yum.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.