Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A 2012 Accounting in Reading

I actually started out making this a blog post about both my reading AND my knitting for the year 2012 but then I decided to do two blog posts. That way come Thursday when I am scratching my head thinking about what I want to write about we can cover knitting. Wednesday being “Semi-Wordless Wednesday” the knitting post will be Thursday for those who are excited about yarn.

And who wouldn’t be excited about yarn?

SWEET! Now on to the books (and audiobooks I think)

I had set myself the goal of reading 80 books this year. And I hit that goal exactly. 80 books.

It isn’t the highest number I have ever read in a year, that was 125 books, but I am not complaining. How did I manage to read 125 books in a year? Did I do nothing else that year? Did I read only Harlequin romances? I have no idea. I could figure it out by sorting the database in a certain way…..but I am not going to do that. Call it New Years Day laziness.

Where were we? Oh yes, books in 2012!

The books are broken into:
Biography – 2
Fiction – 47
Non-Fiction – 31
Audiobooks - 47+

Here are a few of my favorites in the Fiction category for the year:
- The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth: I also watched the movie of this. The book is much, much better. Very suspenseful and interesting to read in this day and age when we rely so heavily on the internet and having knowledge instantly at our finger tips.

- Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James: The only thing I have to say about this is that I read this so that you don’t have to. You can thank me later….and don’t bother to read it. If you need to read a romance novel pick something that is well written. This is not. And I know my romance novels.

- In The Kingdom of Men by Kim Barnes: This was good, if a tad slow at times.

- Bones Are Forever by Kathy Reichs: the latest in the Temperance Brennan series. If you watch “Bones” but have never read the books, put down the remote and get to the library.

Here are a few of my favorites in the Non-Fiction category for the year:
- In Cold Blood by Truman Capote: I think everyone SAYS they have read this book but they really haven’t. It was completely riveting. And in light of the fact that the Florida authorities have now had the bodies of the killers dug up so that DNA testing can be done on them in relation to a cold murder case my reading of the book seems timely.

- Wild by Cheryl Strayed: I wasn’t sure that I would like this book. I was wrong. I loved it. But then I love books about self discovery.

Don’t Let Me Go by David W. Pierce: This book had been sitting on my shelves for a while. Another book of self discovery in a way. A father bonding with his daughter as she grows into adulthood. Loved it.

Grant’s Final Victory by Charles Bracelen Flood: A wonderful book. And of course I now need to read Grant’s memoirs again. But that will be in 2013

And then there were the audiobooks:
I listened to 47+ audiobooks in 2012. The “plus” is because I didn’t start keeping track of the books until well into the year so I have had to reconstruct as best I can. This is what I have remembered. I will try to do better in 2013.
- I listened through the ENTIRE “In Death” series on audio. That is A LOT of murder and mayhem involving Lieutenant Eve Dallas, her husband the hunky Roark and all the other cast of characters. And I want to start back at the beginning. These I actually enjoy better in audiobook form than reading them.

- The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins: I LOVED this one.

- all of the Harry Potter books

- My Life Among the Serial Killers by Helen Morrison

-Star Trek : Nemesis

There are more but these were my favorites.

Well! Now I can reset the Excel spreadsheets for 2013. For some reason that always makes me happy.

Yes, I know I am odd. Deal with it.

5 comments:

  1. Bibliophilism is a dominant genetic trait, I tell you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the old book apple didn't fall far from the tree did it.

      Delete
  2. Can I ask you a serious question? I work for a very evangelical organization. My boss is very opposed to the HP series. How do you, as a Christian, justify reading a book that has so much magic/witches/etc stuff in it?

    I think I can say that it is fiction and therefore, it's just fantasy. But her reasoning is why would you read something that glorifies satan. Again, I'm just trying to figure out where I am in the mix.

    Again, I so respect and admire your relationship with the Lord. I guess maybe if you are strong enough in the Lord, you can read that and not be pulled. But if reading something like C.S. Lewis can point someone towards Christ, couldn't reading something like HP point someone to satan?

    Again, really not trying to cause any distress or trouble, just asking questions to figure out where I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very valid question to ask me. And I am glad that you felt that you could. What I think I am going to do is actually write a blog post clearly stating why I read Harry Potter and why, as a follower of Christ, I feel that I can. That will give me more "space" to flesh out my thoughts rather than writing a very long comment. Look for it some time next week I would think. I just need some time to put the thoughts down on internet paper.

      Delete
  3. You are not odd - you are just over the top organized. It has to feel so good - I will never know...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.