Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Day 16–Peacefulness Personified

Day 16 - Peaceful Personified

Canon 450 D; Tamron 18-270 @ 18mm; ISO 100; f9; 1/50 sec; VC on

Once Chez Knit finally sells, and please let that be soon, I will no longer have this view. And I will be sad. When we were thinking about building a house, many years ago, we let the progeny make the final decision between the two lots that were available to us. The picked this lot because “It is like looking at a rain forest”. Well not quite, we have the trees but we don’t have the jungle animals and the snakes.

We do have plenty of wild animals though.

I remember thinking during the building process, all 271 days of it, that the first morning I lived in this house I would wake up early, come downstairs, make a cup of coffee and just stand out on the deck and enjoy the quiet. And that is what I did. Of course I hadn’t been able to sleep the night before because it had been TOO quiet. No street noise. No blaring car stereos. Just creepy and undisturbed quiet. How can anyone STAND all this quiet!

But that was before I learned to listen to the quiet. To hear the owls hoot in the woods. To hear the song of the coyote (usually sung just before they devour something). The turkeys in the trees and the squirrels jumping in the leaves. The stream that runs quietly most of the time but can be a loud and ranging torrent after rain and snow melt. The gentle summer breezes rustling through the tree. The drilling of the Pileated Woodpecker.

I will miss this.

1 comment:

  1. Debbie, I will miss it too! All of your beautiful pictures and ramblings about the woods and the wildlife in that wonderful, leafy place. I hope your next home brings you as much joy, and less leaf-raking :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.