Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Day 43–Outdoor Privy

Day 43 - Outdoor Privy_sm

Canon 450D; Canon 50mm f1.8; ISO 200; f1.8; 1/400 sec

Yes, the cracked and currently very dirty toilet sits in my back garden.

No one ever said that I had a perfectly sane sense of humor or landscape design. And I wasn’t the first one in the family to decide that an old toilet would make a perfectly lovely planter. That honor goes to my father.

I knew, even before we moved into Chez Knit, that I was going to search for a used (but hopefully clean) toilet to place in the garden. And one day, just about the time that the landscaping was finished here at CK, I was driving in my small town, right before garbage pick up day. I believe that Mimi was in the car with me. We were most likely going to the Dollar Store.

Driving…driving….driving…..SCREEEEECH (that was me putting on the brakes).

I had passed it. What I had been looking for. A toilet by the side of the road. I backed up, opened the back deck, forced my own mother to help me hoist it into the van, and brought it back home. I gave it a very thorough cleaning and muscled it out to the back and set it grandly on top of the septic area. That seemed appropriate.

But SOME PEOPLE….didn’t like the fact that they could see it when they drove up the driveway and parked in the garage.

And then there was the whole “landscaper covering over the grinder pump motor house with a mound of dirt incident”.

Hey we didn’t know that it wasn’t supposed to be buried!!!

And that was where the toilet had been lovingly placed.

So I moved it. And now in the summer it has a lovely fern that is planted in it. And the hosta grow up around it and give it shade. And the toad lives by it.

And I can see it from the kitchen window and that makes me happy.

But I am guessing that when Chez Knit sells that the toilet is going to have to go back to the curb.

Just a guess.

3 comments:

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.