Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Birds! The Birds!

Are you tired of reading about my birds?

Tough!

I can tell you that the addition of suet to the winter feeding routine has brought out some more unusual birds.

IMG_5409A

The Pileated Woodpecker is here every day. And he is SUCH a bully. Of course he is the size of an elephant in the bird world compared to some of the others. And those birdie claws are very impressive. He swoops in and everyone else scatters. But he does love his suet.

IMG_5375A

And of course the Bluebirds of Happiness love the suet too. I am not sure why they are called the Bluebirds of Happiness because they always look a bit angry to me.

IMG_5103A

Who are you calling angry lady!

IMG_5376A

And of course then there are the Cardinals. We do see them in the summer time but they don’t come to the feeder as often. It is usually just the Chicadees, Titmouse (teehee), Flicker, Goldfinches, House Finches, Blue Jays (the bullies of the bird world) and others. I hear them but don’t see them all that often. But come winter, especially when there is snow cover, we see a lot of them.

IMG_5386AIMG_5388watermarkIMG_5392watermark

Of course I now have a new problem related to the suet that I have been putting out.

A four footed problem.

A dog problem.

It isn’t really a problem so much as an irritant. Suet is fat that has been melted and cooled, melted and cooled along with adding birdie treats. You repeatedly melt and cool it so that it stays hard when the weather warms up. But some of the fats still seems to dissolve a bit when it rain falls or the snow melts. Not a lot but a bit.

And Max the ever hungry dog has figured out that he can stand under the suet feeders and laboriously lick the deck or the snow.

And I do mean laboriously.

IMG_9070A

I am sorry Alpha Male. But I am willing to endure some slivers in my tongue for the pleasure of melted suet.

3 comments:

  1. I really, really like your cardinal shots...so perfect with the snowy background. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I now have FOUR different types of suet to put in my suet feeder (granted, not all at the same time). Come on over Bluebirds of Happiness and visit me too!!

    I have a newly-placed plant for my cats to hide behind while they're bird-watching from the window. I don't think I'd be able to get them to wear the extra-small sized camouflage suits I was considering earlier.

    (By the way, I agree that the bluebirds do looked rather grumpy.)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.