Friday, February 19, 2010

7 Quick Takes (Vol 58)

7_quick_takes_sm

 

1.
Do you know who Amy Dacyzyn is? If you don’t then you should. I have her Tightwad Gazette books and I love, love, love them.  Ever wonder what she is doing now?

2.
I have been overdosing on the Olympics. Have you? In this household we have differing opinions about the Winter Olympics. I love them….and HHBL…not so much. He is more of a Summer Olympics guy.

As has been my practice since 1968 I am overdosing on figure skating. Don’t you just hold your breath when they do those jumps and throws? How the heck do they land on that little,  skinny skate blade? It just amazes me every single time. Sometimes I just want to watch with my hands up to my face and looking through my fingers. I am such a chicken.

And this week, this week starts the Curling competitions. Oh I love Curling. I don’t understand why but I could watch it and watch it and watch it.

3.
It is snowing again. Snowing and snowing and snowing. I haven’t gone out to actually measure but my best guesstimate is that we currently have 25+ inches on the ground. And we haven’t gotten this through a bunch of big snows. Oh no, it is “death by a thousand paper cuts” around here. two inches one day, three inches the next, one inch the day after that. It just keeps piling up and piling up. I have forgotten what grass looks like. And poor Max, there are certain things that the dog needs to do outside and they are difficult to do if the snow is as high as your back.

4.
And speaking of Max the Bad Dog, as we were just doing. I am afraid that when we are gone from the house he is going to be spending his time in the laundry room. This is where we used to put him when he was younger and seemingly untrained. But for many years he has had the run of the house when we were gone.

But no more. No, he will be in the laundry room because of this….

IMG_5069A IMG_5073A He can no longer be trusted. He chewed this up when HHBL was home not even when the house was empty.

5.
I am sure that we have all heard the adage that we have a twin somewhere in the world. I haven’t really ever seen that in action….until Wednesday night. HHBL had asked me to go to the annual meeting of a business group he is involved with. I go about once a year. It can be interesting…or not, depending on who is speaking. And the appetizers are generally good and I can get a glass of wine without forking over my youngest child’s college fund. So, I had appetizers, I was working on a glass of wine, I was sitting in a room full of other business men and investors….and I was sort of bored. What to do when you are bored? Why you text Cousin Heather (Hi Hadoo) and you Twitter of course. Especially as I hadn’t brought my knitting with me. A girl has to do what she has to do.

I had my head down, sort of listening as Hadoo and I exchanged messages. When I looked up I thought, “Hey! What is Marlborough Man doing here??? And in a suit no less!”  Any of us who read The Pioneer Woman (and who doesn’t) know who Marlborough Man is. This guy was his absolute twin. The gray hair, the goatee. I was literally about a second away from jumping up from my seat and searching for P-Dub. Thank goodness I took a moment to marshal my forces because I would have been more than a bit embarrassed had I jumped up at that moment. I realized quickly that this MM look alike was talking about measuring the cervical length of pregnant woman to determine the possibility of preterm labor. I don’t think that MM would be talking about that! Once I figured out it wasn’t MM and therefore P-Dub wasn’t there…..I went back to Tweeting.

6.
Did you ever think that there would be a time when the costumes worn by the male Olympic skaters would have more sequins and sparkly stuff than the women. Oh how I long for the days of Brian Boitano and Scott Hamilton.

7.
I have decided that I have “knitting ADHD”. Sometimes I just flit from one project to the next never staying with one thing for too long. I get my projects done but I switch from one to the other. Sweater to ultra alpac socks to Socks for Soldiers socks to sweater to scarf to…… Is there a knitting form of Ritalin?

6 comments:

  1. Love Amy Dacyzyn! I used to check her books out over and over from the library (cheaper than buying them, dontcha know), and I have wondered over the years what she was up to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got here through Quick Takes -

    I am loving the Olympics here - though I fell in love with the snowboarding events this year. I was up way too late last night watching the men's figure skating though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed all of these but especially related to #6.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always have at least 2 things on the needles, but I've learned to limit myself to 3. Right now it's mittens, a pair of socks and I'm getting ready to cast on a vest. I like to always have socks going, plus a longer project and the third project usually ends up being quick stuff like the hats and mittens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been watching the Curling competition this afternoon (granted, while I'm cleaning the house.) Why a I not surprised you enjoy it so much? -- you strategist you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Lookleep you know me too well!

    @Beyondhomemaking - when I took up knitting again, 4 years ago, I swore to myself that I would just have one project on the needles at a time. But of course I was also lying to myself, which I do so well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.