Thursday, August 11, 2011

Is It Christmas Yet?

Several years ago, when TSiL entered the family, I let you guys in on the Christmas Stocking tradition we have going on here at Chez Knit. And since it is still summer around here I thought we should talk about Christmas.

That is how my mind works. Never satisfied with the weather that we have at the moment.

But knitters start thinking about Christmas right about this time because we need to start thinking about and contemplating what, if anything, we are going to knit for people. It is a dilemma hotly contested in the knitting world, whether to knit for others. And if you knit for others whether they should be deemed “deserving” of a hand knit item. If you are going to put a boat load of time and effort into something that you knit as a gift you want the person who is getting the gift to appreciate it and like it.

That must be why I belong to the Selfish Knitters group on Ravelry.

But I digress.

It is the time of year when I start thinking about whether I need to make a Christmas Stocking for any new member of the family. Now that I can decently make one of the darn things.

This year……

I am making four of them.

And I hang my head in utter and abject shame when I say that three of them really should have been done LAST year but weren’t. And my Cousin Jon’s wife Kathy was very gracious about letting me off the hook on that.

But I am making progress.

IMG_3300AIMG_3301AIMG_3303_edited-A

Asher’s stocking is DONE!

And it only took me……6 months to complete.

OK, FINE. I did start it in March and then lost my stocking mojo in April. It sat there, on my sewing desk mocking me. And there were other things to knit, like SOCKS! But finally early this week I put on my big girl panties and got to knittin’ and it went swiftly.

But I am not done.

IMG_3302

I cast on Hannah’s stocking yesterday. I worked until I couldn’t work no more and made a rather egregious mistake that I had to slowly “tink” back (knit spelled backwards, get it). And so I put it down and went to bed.

And when Hannah’s is done then there are stockings to make for……

IMG_3295_edited-AIMG_3296_edited-AIMG_3297_edited-A

Thomas and Levi.

Have I forgotten anyone else?

I really need to actually write this pattern up in a formal way rather than relying on my mismatched notes.

But that is for another day.

3 comments:

  1. OMG! Adorable! I wish I could knit...I'd knit a "baby's first Christmas" type stocking for me...well, for the 2013 first Christmas for the little bun due this Feb. Maybe there's time to learn?...

    ReplyDelete
  2. asher says, "mmmmmmmaaaaagggggaaammmmmm." roughly translated that means, "thanks, auntie debbie...you're the best!"

    i'd send you something handmade as a thank you, but i'd have to buy it. does that count?

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess (a.k.a. Rosie)August 11, 2011 at 4:34 PM

    You're not alone in the early Chrismas knitting. I've been chugging along since the beginning of July so that I won't end up doing what I do EVERY year which is go into overdrive at the beginning of December trying to get projects done in time. Usually my recipients get a halfway completes item and then told to give it back to me so I can finish it :-)

    If you do ever end up writing up your pattern for those gorgeous stockings, I'd gladly be a test knitter for you :-D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.