Friday, August 19, 2011

7 Quick Takes (Vol 129)

7_quick_takes_sm

The days just fly and here am I with Friday arrived and the weekend ahead. You know the routine. After immersing yourself in my blither blather below you need to click on the picture above to be whisked, at the speed of my rapidly increasing pantry full of canned things, over to Conversion Diary to see what everyone else has been doing.

Blither, blither, blather, blather.

1.
Lunch today will be….

Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato sandwich.

Tomato from the garden.

Lettuce from the garden.

Bread made by my own two hands.

If I was able to produce the bacon as well you know I would.

One of these days I will.

2.
Cartoon Girl feels that the picture of her that I posted yesterday was, in her words, heinous. And that she is much better looking now.

She may have a point. Therefore I will submit this photo, taken recently, to wipe the other one from peoples minds.

IMG_2202

We were all smiling because we had just consumed deep fried bacon.

Let me say that again.

Deep. Fried. Bacon.

I will never be the same.

3.
Various pictures from the garden. I didn’t take the “big girl” camera this week so you will just have to content yourselves with pictures from “Dahling” my ipod.

IMG_0142IMG_0143IMG_0144

Unfortunately the bottom picture is a cuke that hid under leaves until it was too big to be used for anything. This picture doesn’t begin to convey it’s size. Think “blimp”. So onto the compost pile it went where it will now give it’s remaining nutrients so that next year we can have more excellent crops.

4.
This week I made one of these….

IMG_0138

A French Silk Pie. Oh how we love these, raw eggs, butter and all.

Made it on Wednesday as that was Shoe Queen’s last meal with us.

And it was all gone by last night when HHBL ate the last piece while watching the Indians beat the White Sox.

Oh it was SO bad for us and yet SO good.

5.
We have again had hail. Oh joy.

We woke up about 4a this morning to the most amazing thunder and lightening.

I mean REALLY amazing in a scary, shaking the house, trees being split by lightening kind of way. HHBL actually looked at the Weather Channel app on his iphone and just as he said the word “hail” down it came. It didn’t last a long time but I could still hear it falling and adding further shred to the already raggedy hostas.

And then to add insult to weather injury, something scared a skunk somewhere around the house so we had to close the windows.

And now the sun is out, the cicadas are singing and there is not a breath of wind blowing, even at the tops of the trees.

I might just term this year 2011: The Year of Adventures in Weather.

6.
I have been “listening through” all the Thursday Next books and I am hooked.

What would I do without podcasts and audio books? I listen to them when I am cleaning.

Although that doesn’t happen all that often.

I listen to them when I am knitting.

And we KNOW that happens a lot.

Next up, after The Well of Lost Plots is the second audio book in Steig Larssons “Millennium” series, The Girl Who Played With Fire. A VASTLY different kind of book than anything written by Jasper Fforde. Gripping certainly but also with a certain amount of “creepy” factor that sometimes makes them hard to listen to. You can’t just skip over the parts that gross you out like you might be able to do with a book.

Then after that who knows. I love the fact that I can download audio books from the library right onto my ipod. Thank you Twinsburg Public Library for so many great listening hours.

7.
LookLeap mentioned that she was going to make some Peach Salsa. And now she has got me thinking about Peach Salsa and canning same and now I am obsessed with finding just the right recipe.

Obsessed I tell you!

I will let you know how it all turns out.

1 comment:

  1. I actually fixed a BLT sandwich for my boys today ... but our tomato, lettuce, and bread came from the store.

    So did the bacon ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.