Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Ice Box Ginger Muffins

Yes, I know that I promised Pot Stickers and those are coming up later. But I was in the mood for these and so these are what you get.

I love this recipe. It is one of those that are from my childhood and those kinds of recipes always bring a warmth and good feelings.

Well all except for liver and onions which is a tool of the devil.

This particular recipe comes via Aunt Della. Aunt Della was a cousin of Grandma Pringles. Good solid Iowa stock. I know that I have a picture of Aunt Della around here somewhere but I can’t seem to put my digital fingers on it so you will just have to do without.

But even without the picture of Aunt Della you are still going to have to make these.

IMG_7308A These are all the things that you are going to need. Look at the eggs. The white ones are so boring. The brown one and the green one are the last of the eggs that The Chef gave me when I was out in Illinois. I love those eggs.

And I also have to stick in a disclaimer here. There might be some pictures of this baking process that are missing. That is because I was busy baking and making beef stew and other things. The meal was for That Nice Greek Boy and his family( Hi Helene and FJ!). They had just gotten back from a big missions trip and they had brought the flu back with them. My arms were flying all over the place and I was multi-tasking and…..well I forgot to take some pictures.

IMG_7310A Mmmmmmmmmmmm, butter. The first thing that you need to do is dump the butter into the mixing bowl and then add the sugar (no picture of this). Cream the butter and sugar together until it is like they have been married for 50 years.

IMG_7311A Notice how nice and big the yolks are for The Chef’s eggs. Her hens are happy.

IMG_7312A Next you have to add the eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.

IMG_7315A Then you are going to add the molasses. I love the smell of molasses.

It makes me happy.

IMG_7316A copy Then you want to take all the dry ingredients and mix them all together. Do you know what is missing from this picture?

Take a good look.

I almost forgot it………the salt.

Forgetting the salt is not good. I should know. Don’t do it.

And then I forgot to take several other pictures. Like how you add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk. I only have so many hands and they were all busy.

I don’t remember why you alternate dry and wet ingredients beginning and ending with the dry but that is what I do. If someone knows why please enlighten me.

IMG_7321A And then, when the batter is all battered you add the raising. Mmmmmmmmm, raisins.

IMG_7322A When you are all done mixing everything up you can dump all of the batter into a container with an airtight lid and you can stick it in the refrigerator where it can sit for up to two weeks waiting to be used.

But I bet it doesn’t last that long.

And when you are ready to make 6 muffins or 12 muffins you just scoop some out, fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full and bake. You can have hot muffins for breakfast.

I certainly did……

2 comments:

  1. I love anything ginger. I also like that the batter can sit in the fridge for a while. I'll definitely try these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! I liked all your up-close photos and that you labeled the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.