Friday, July 16, 2010

7 Quick Takes (Vol 78)

7_quick_takes_sm

Hurrah!!! It is Friday and that means Quick Takes. Hope everyone has had a great week. The days just fly by at the pace of a slug eating my basil.

1.
Did you notice, down at the bottom of each post I now have that “You might also like…” thing going on.

And I have to make a confession.

I am obsessed with it.

Do you ever re-read posts that you have written just for the heck of it. I do. And that thing is just enabling me.

Ridiculous

2.
At our house we like Chinese food…a lot. And we are lucky to have a good take out place 10 minutes away.

It is a sad thing when they know your phone number and say, “This for Dan right?” when we call.

And one of the things that I like the most is pot stickers. Oh those little bundles of porky goodness. Accompanied by the ginger dipping sauce they are yummy.

Where am I going with this you might be asking? Well, I got to thinkin’ and I decided that I wanted to be able to have pot stickers more frequently. Yum. And I found a recipe for them. Double Yum. And I made them on Wednesday and they were….

Scrumptious.

So I will give you all the recipe next week I think. Get your chop sticks ready.

3.
I am amazed at how rude some people can be. I walk at the park three mornings a week with a group of friends who I met a Curves, when we used to go there, but now don’t. Long story. So I am walking along on Wednesday and there are always other people with dogs and we all stop if we know each other and let the dogs say hello. Now there are some people who don’t like to do that and they signal that by just pulling off to the side and not engaging in conversation doggy, human whatever. No problem.

So as Max and I pull off to the right to make room on the path for the fellow walking the opposite direction with his English Sheepdog he gets abreast of us and makes a comment that I am not far enough to the right and how rude I am.

If he had just mentioned that I might not be far enough to the right on the path I would have just said thanks for the info. But the rude comment set my teeth on edge let me tell you. And I am sorry to say that I did say thank you….but then I asked him if he had to work hard to be so rude or did it come naturally. And as with anything that isn’t right and is sinful, I enjoyed the zing that I delivered….for awhile. But regretted it later. I hang my head in shame.

4.
Well, the daylilies are all gone. In one fell swoop something ate them. But I had enjoyment of them for almost a whole month so I am not complaining. I suspect a deer did the damage. It also nibbled a bit on my basil but didn’t seem to like the taste. More for me.

5.
I have been dealing with a pinched nerve in my neck. It is getting better but I have no clue how I aggravated it in the first place. Such a pain both literally and figuratively although it is making progress.

I have had this experience once before, in 1995, and it lasted for 6 months. Not a fun time let me tell you. HHBL could always tell when it was hurting because I would be massaging my neck. That has helped again this time, massaging of the area and big doses of ibuprophen. Now if the accompanying headaches will just go away.

6.
I live in the Cleveland area. You might have been hearing about it recently. This is the only time I am going to write anything about LeBron. Here is what I think for what it is worth.

Mr. James had every right to take his talents and play where he wants. That is the nature of free agency. BUT the manner in which he announced it is what showed his character. He is a self-absorbed, narcissistic young man who has never had someone tell him “no”, to his detriment. He has had only adulation from everyone since the age of 14 and it shows. Yes, I know he probably didn’t “think up” the idea for an ESPN show to announce his intentions but don’t you think he agreed and signed off on it?

Just basic lack of class and character.

And now I am done.

Well and one more thing. Mr. James marry the mother of your two sons! You want to be a roll model for young men and the black community as a whole then set an example. Which you have not done.

NOW I am done.

7.
You know what is nice. Having homemade blueberry crisp with whipped topping for breakfast and feeling no guilt about it.

Can you guess what I had for breakfast. It was delicious. And Shoe Queen tells me that she really doesn’t like blueberries so that means more for me.

Yum.

7 comments:

  1. I have GOT to go blueberry picking!! It's just so dang hot and muggy now!

    Glad I missed the rude sheepdog owner. Good thing you didn't pass him a 2nd time! It may have come to blows!

    Can't WAIT for the pot sticker recipe!! I bought some frozen ones at the Asian mall downtown recently and boy were they yummy. But fresh ... oooh, be still my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waiting for the recipe--and BTW I am 100% with you on the LeBron thing--wonder what it is like to have that kind of an ego. We really need to meet up some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crack me up! I enjoyed all the things you had to say today, but the one about Chinese food really spoke to me. Our local place knows us all too well! Once we ordered more than usual and they asked what was different because that was a lot of food for us! They also know it's gonna be C-13! Gotta shake it up a little next time we call it in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just curious. Which Chinese restaurant is that you like so much?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Chris - Coffee? We aren't that far away.
    @LookLeap - we like the Hunan take-out in the Heinen's Plaza. They do a good job although their Hot and Sour Soup isn't as good as Imperial Wok in Solon.
    @Knitting Bean - the first time he said, "This for Dan right?" it freaked me out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Generally when I have blueberry crisp...or peach cobbler...or berry crumble...or apples topped with oatmeal, butter and brown sugar...for breakfast I think, "Well, Bill Cosby, I'll do you one better...it's got eggs...it's got flour...and it's got FRUIT!"
    (I indulge frequently, in case you couldn't tell...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had a most excellent meal Friday night at the Mai Thai Cafe here in Wheaton, followed by frozen yougurt at YoYo - let's go there during your next visit.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.