Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Blueberries!!

Oh yes, it is that time of the year. The time we think about all year.

Well, that might be a slight exaggeration but still, I do think about blueberries a lot. Especially when you see them in the grocery store and they are like a bazillion dollars for a little container.

We have the awesomeness of living 10 minutes from a blueberry farm. Oh yeah. And starting July 1 there was pickin’ goin’ on.

Last week I had a morning open so my friend Bonnie and her two adorable children Joseph and Miriam went blueberrying. Is that a word?

It is if I say it is.

Now I have to say that it was a tad wet with rain threatening on that morning but thankfully it didn’t actually rain until after we were done. But I would have made the sacrifice for the blueberries.

IMG_2090A Oh Alpha Male (that’s me. Don’t ask) please allow me to accompany you. I will be good.

IMG_2091AThis is my blueberry picking buddy Joseph. He wasn’t so much into the picking as he was directing our movements and asking questions and talking and……he is busy and a joy.

IMG_2093A  This is my other picking buddy Miriam. I am going to go out on a limb here and say that she did the lion share of the picking between she and her brother. She was a dedicated blueberry picking machine. Dedicated I tell you. And she loves me so I am giving her credit for the blueberries. Not that Joseph doesn’t love me mind you but……we women have to stick together.

IMG_2094AThere were a lot of blueberries to pick. So we dedicated ourselves to the task. And we didn’t have my father there to chuck blueberries at us over the bushes so we weren’t distracted.

And we tried not to eat too many blueberries straight from the bushes. I didn’t want them asking to weigh ME.

IMG_2095A  It is hard to take a close up picture when your hands are damp and your glasses are all foggy. I did the best that I could…..which wasn’t great in this instance.

IMG_2096 Blueberry pancakes, blueberry bread, blueberry muffins, blueberry cheesecake…..blueberries on my cereal. Oh for a box of Kellogg’s Concentrate.

Just as an aside, Kellogg’s Concentrate cereal is my all time favorite. Little flakes of goodness in my bowl. They made this awesome squeaky noise when you took the first bite, sort of like walking on snow on a really cold day. I have always felt that the flakes, in my mind, would look like manna that the Lord sent to Moses and the Israelites.

No?

But you had to eat the cereal REALLY quickly once you put the milk on it because otherwise it became this soggy, disgusting mass. Of course, if you are HHBL that is when it is best. He puts milk on his cereal and then goes to get the paper and lets the cereal sit and sit……

But that is for another post I am thinking.

And the best thing to have for breakfast on a summer morning, down at The Cottage, sitting at the table and watching the sun rise was a bowl of Concentrate with blueberries and milk.

Oh joy.

Now back to our regularly scheduled blog post.

IMG_2098A Hail the conquering blueberry hero’s. And Bonnie had her elixir of life with her. That must be why I like her. Well that and that she is my friend and maybe for her ability to knit anything. I am so going to knit one of those prism bags that she knits. Yarn all over the place and in several different colors. They are SO COOL!
Sorry, got distracted there for a moment.

IMG_2099The next series of pictures were taken by Joseph and Miriam……..
IMG_2101  Yes, I know I have a bug on my face. I am just too lazy to clone it off at the moment.

IMG_2102 Please ignore the wrinkles and gray hair. I am just me and I can’t be anyone else but me. Notice the really wet sleeve? The blueberry bushes were really wet.

IMG_2104 IMG_2103A                             Joseph thought we needed a picture of the building.
 Joseph black and white I thought it might look cool in black and white. Joseph and I are a picture taking team.

And so we ended our blueberry picking outing. Slightly damp but happy and thinking about all the things that we were going to do with our blueberries.

And Bonnie tells me that hers are already all gone….

So I just think we will have to go back.

6 comments:

  1. We had such a great time. The kiddos are already asking when we are going again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot remember your blueberry picking style: (a) concentrate on one bush, stripping all the berries top to bottom, or (b) my preferred, predatory picking process - pick at eye-level on multiple bushes in sequence, trying to forget the inevitable gastronomic consequences of ingesting vast quantities of blueberries during the picking process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am more of a "b" style although I have employed the "a" method upon occasion. However, in this instance I didn't think it would set the right example to be chucking blueberries at the children.....now if my own children had been there then it would have been and entirely different matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like fun! I want to go!
    Your pics of the kids reminded me so much of the book Blueberries for Sal...a classic children's book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh blueberries, yum!!! That looks like so much fun!! Great pictures of you and the helpers. I especially love this line "I am just me and I can’t be anyone else but me". Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie, where is the blueberry picking farm?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.