Friday, July 30, 2010

7 Quick Takes (Vol 79)

7_quick_takes_sm
Wow, can you believe that Sunday brings with it the month of August. Where does the time fly to? And here it is another Friday and another 7 Quick Takes. My head is just spinning. Remember to click on the picture above to whisk over to Conversion Diary so that you can see what all the rest of us Quick Takers have been up to.

Me, I’m up to about 5’ 4” and I don’t think I am going any higher.

1.
I am laboriously moving pictures from one place to another. And it is a big job.

I mean I have 20,000+ pictures in my computer. And they take up a honkin’ big amount of space. And I really don’t need to keep all of them on my computer.

For the last few years I have used an editing and storage program that is associated with a big scrapbooking company. It was great for a while and served it’s purpose when I was still a relatively new photographer but it is proprietary software and that is, in the end, a real pain. It adds steps when I want to use pictures in the blog or send pictures because Live Writer or Blogger couldn’t see the pictures. I had to send the ones that I wanted to use to a file on my desk top. And then from there I could blog with them or email them.

You could do some photo editing with this software but not nearly enough for my purposes.

And even though it has you back up to DVDs or CDs I have been worried that that wasn’t the right way to do this, that I needed to have the pictures backed up to an external hard drive.

So, I am moving them slowly over to the external drive.

And just because I am a belt and suspenders kind of girl I will also use “cloud backup” because I don’t even want to think about losing my pictures.

2.
Oh yes, and because I am moving all these pictures and looking at all these pictures I have seen some “choice” ones that I think will need to be included in another installment of Pictures That Crawled Out of the Crypt. I am not sure when this will happen but….

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

3. 
Cowgirls Apr 64 Just to show you the things that I have been finding. I think I will call this one “Ride Em’ Cowgirl”. That is my cousin Ann beside me. She looks happy I do not, which I don’t think has anything to do with Ann.

Perhaps we were having liver for dinner and I am planning how to get out of it.

4.
Oh and another thing about moving all those pictures. Sometimes I seem to take the LOOOOOONG way to do a task. I have been moving the pictures one file at a time….it was taking forever.

And then, after hours and hours of work I realized that there is an option to share the ENTIRE sort box and all the sub files at once.

Dope slap.

Sometimes I take all three sides of the triangle to go from point A to point B.

5.
Oh I am trying to stop myself from going out and buying school supplies that I couldn’t possibly need. I loved buying school supplies, especially pens and crayons. Believe me when I tell you that I have absolutely no need for pens at the moment. And I don’t need any crayons.

Even though, as a child, I had 64 Crayon box deprivation that has colored my entire adulthood.

And really, who wouldn’t like to have a stack of new 3x5 cards just itching to be used for a research paper. Too nerdy?

I am not sure that I am going to be able to resist.

Help me Obi Crayon Kenobi, you’re my only hope.

6.
Did you know that today is National Cheesecake Day?? Oh be still my beating heart. And in honor of the day I will of course bake cheesecake. We have company coming for dinner and it will be the perfect dessert. Of course I have to be a bit different and so I think I am going to try and make mini cheesecakes.

I will let you know how it turns out. I have never made cheesecake in a mini form but how hard can that be?

Famous last words.

7.
I am doing something tomorrow that I have never done before and I am scared spitless.

I am going to be the backup photographer at a wedding.

Oh man, I am quaking in my boots folks. I really am.

I know I can take a decent picture but this is pressure, even though I am not the one who is taking the “posed” pictures. It is one thing to take pictures on your own with no one relying on your meager skills.

But my friend Erika, who is a much better photographer than I and who actually does wedding photography, asked if I would do this. It is her sister’s wedding and she obviously can’t take the pictures and be in the wedding.

I. AM. SO. SCARED.

I will let you know how it goes. And if you never hear from me again it will just mean that it was a horrible experience and that I have moved to someplace where there is no internet so that I can hide out.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, moving all those pictures. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck moving your photos! I know how precious they can be!
    Love your childhood photo. I'm sure it was because of your cousin.
    and remember, the keyword is backup in the term backup photographer... Make sure the primary one shows up. Stalk him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share your love of school supplies... ah, what joy is it to have a pretty new notebook in front of me. What do I need it for? No clue... The only thing that stops me from buying more is our constant moving and the need to pack all those half-used notebooks up. Or throw them away (it hurts!).
    By the way, I heard CDs or DVDs are the safer way to store data like pictures, because external hard drives tend to break more easily. Yeah, I didn't believe it either. I'm just a little nervous now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand what you mean about the school supplies. I've been out of college for a couple of years now, but I just keep thinking that I need to get SOMETHING!!! I mean, it's all so cheap and shiny, nevermind that I have absolutely no use for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Notebooks! A new notebook, and a #2 pencil with a really sharp point, and there is NOTHING I cannot do, no dream I cannot realize... for a little while. My husband once said, "You're not REALLY a Catholic. I know your true faith... you belong to the Church of Office Supplies." I had no answer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I read your posts and discover we are so much alike that it is almost scary. At least alike in what you share here.

    I love what you said: "Sometimes I take all three sides of the triangle to go from point A to point B." I'm adding that to my quote notebook.

    I love #5. I went school shopping with dear son today but he's 16 and no longer needs to buy crayons. I paused briefly over the box of 64 Crayolas but didn't buy them and I regret it because I still love to color with a new box of crayons. Really. I say so in my profile. Tomorrow I'm going back to buy them. I don't have grandkids yet but I do have some little great nieces and a great nephew so that's why I need crayons around....

    Don't be afraid of helping photograph the wedding. Digital photography is great for do-overs! lol For myself, the fear would be being in front of everyone while I'm trying to take the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't help with the school supply thing. We've already hit Staples once. I guess I have passed my love of school supplies onto my babies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doing stuff on the computer is a complete time warp--it always ends up taking SO long to do anything. That might be due in part to the fact that I always get distracted reading blogs. But even if I didn't, it still seems to take a long time to shuffle things around on the computer.
    I love your photo from the crypt. Ann seems to be plotting evil, while you look like you might be sending a silent plea for help to the photographer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.