Thursday, June 17, 2010

My Eyes Were Bigger Than My Jam Jars

I am beat.

Beat I tell you!!

And why would that be might you ask? Well I will tell you. Here is Northeastern Ohio the month of June holds many things.

Rain
bugs
bad baseball
And……….

Strawberries!

IMG_2032A Lookleap and I drove over to a local farm/orchard to pick strawberries. That is my cohort in crime in the white shirt.

It was a gorgeous day for picking. Cool, cloudy, no bugs that I could discern. But I have to tell you that picking these luscious berries gave me a great appreciation for the migrant workers who normally pick the berries you buy in the store. I don’t know how their backs survive it.

IMG_2033And the strawberries!!! Good golly Miss Molly where they gorgeous. And so many of them.

IMG_2035  Nom, nom, nom, nom……..do I pick it and put it in the container or do I pick it and quietly put it in my mouth.

Dirt? Sand? Slug trails? Who the heck cares! Oh they tasted good.

I mean I THINK that they LOOK like they will taste good because I know my mother would tell me that I shouldn’t eat any before they are washed.

And I always do what my mother tells me…….

IMG_2037ABeautiful!

You know, for some reason several people at the orchard seemed to think that Lookleap and I were sisters. I am not sure why that is……well…….

Except for the fact that we were bickering. In a playful way only mind you. And I was sort of bossing her around.

But that was only because I was right. HA!

IMG_2038 Ummmmmmmmm, I may have gone a tad overboard on the strawberry picking. These are all mine. I am not exactly sure how many pounds that I picked. I was frankly afraid to ask. I will make a wild guess that it is less that 10 pounds and more than 5 pounds…….

But I might be wrong.

I really didn’t think that I had picked this many. Really I didn’t. I just kept picking and picking and picking. It wasn’t really until I got home that I realized that I was in a heap of strawberry trouble. What in tarnation was I going to do with all of this stuff.

Hi. My name is Debbie and I’m a strawberry glutton.

IMG_6905AOh Mommy!

So this is what I did with some of the strawberries….

IMG_6913  IMG_6918


And you can bet your last Euro that I sampled the goods more than once. I wouldn’t want to produce a bad product you know.

And I can also tell you that I still have half of the strawberries left. I am thinking maybe Strawberry/Blueberry Jam tomorrow.

But right now I am just thinking toast……with jam on it.

NomNomNomNomNom

7 comments:

  1. Yummmm! I loooved our strawberries that we picked. Our house smelled so good for like 3 days!

    I didn't make any jam but I should have, it looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing better than sliced strawberries with a little sugar added to juice them up. Let sit an hour or two. Then pour over plain yellow cake with a dollop of real whipped cream on top. Oh, Joy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someday I am coming over for a jamming jars tutorial!! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My niece told me I could pick some from her patch but I haven't gone yet. Making jam sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum!! The jam looks beautiful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no no NO. You may have thought you were bossing me around. I just happened to be in a good mood, so I let you think you were right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE strawberries. I remember what seems like forever ago my friends and I would accompany their mother for strawberry picking. We were young adults, out on our own and starving so she would tempt us with monetary rewards and promises of a homecooked meal if we picked strawberries for her. So awful early in the morning for us at that time, but we always had a great time. Thanks for reminding me of those great memories. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.