Friday, March 19, 2010

50 Things I Like About Myself

I am taking a break from 7 Quick Takes to bring you this little post. It is appropriate for the day.

You know, I hesitated to do this little exercise, I really did. It seems so self-absorbed, so me oriented, so personal, so…….

Hey, isn’t this MY BLOG? And we know that it is all about me right? RIGHT??

OK, so maybe it isn’t all about me. And I wouldn’t want it to be but sometimes it just has to be and we will have to live with it. And I have a feeling that this is going to be a very interesting and perhaps instructive thing to do.

You all know about my struggles in the past with feeling worthy and liking myself. The thought of actually thinking about and then putting on virtual paper 50 things that I like about myself is a rather daunting task.

I have to be honest here and say that the idea for this is not mine. Are there really any new ideas in the bloggysphere? I think perhaps not. But as is often the case I followed a link to a blog that took me to another blog that…..well you get the picture. I read through those blog posts and others like them and thought, “You know this might be a really fun constructive thing to do.” I should have thought more along the lines of painful and uncomfortable. So here is my list of 50 things that I like about myself. You can’t imagine how long it took to come up with 50 things!!!

1. The gray streak in my hair. Crazy I know but I really do love it.

2. My quirky sense of humor.

3. the fact that I love Bluegrass Music. Bluegrass Rules!

4. I am creative

5. I can name all the Kings of England from George I to QE2

6. I can make people laugh.

7. I am organized. It brings me intense pleasure to organize things. Oh yes it does.

8. I can knit the most wonderful socks. Who wouldn’t love hand knit socks.

9. My toe rings. Oh I love my toe rings. Can I wear them until I am 90 and beyond?

10.The fact that I am willing to work until I figure something out.

11. that I can laugh at myself. I might as well, there is plenty to laugh at.
 
12. that I consume books. Can’t get enough of them. Bibliographic obesity

13. I take odd but creative photographs. It’s the way I roll.

14. I can ask questions like, “I wonder if whales sleep?” and be totally serious (they do, HA!)

15. I make killer Coconut Candy. Totally addictive and to die for.

16. Further on that vein, I am a fairly good cook. And I love to cook.

17. that I am “spacially oriented”. Give me a set of directions to put something together and I am good to go.
 
18. Liverwurst & sweet pickle sandwiches on toasted bread with mayo is sandwich nirvana

19. Most days I like being me.
  
20. Beets are the vegetable from the gods and I would eat them every day if I could.

21. I have learned to say, “It is what it is” during certain situations. I can’t change everything to my personal liking.
 
22. I am willing to try any food once. Otherwise how would I know that octopus with olive sauce is really, really good. The one exception is liver. Liver is an invention of the devil.
 
23. I think that the sport of Curling is wonderful. And that Cricket is pretty good too.
 
24. with age has come the ability to speak my mind.
 
25. I have no problem saying, “I had a hysterectomy and it was the best thing in the world!”

26. I can accurately score a baseball game and that I taught myself how to do it.
 
27. I can name the 4 Japanese aircraft carriers that were sunk at the Battle of Midway. This will come in handy someday I just know it. 
 
28. That HHBL knows that a good present for me is a new set of screw drivers.
 
29. I would choose to watch Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movies every day if I could.
 
30. The curls in my hair. 
 
31. That even though I suffer from BIMNIDS that I am working to overcome.
 
32. I can procrastinate with the best of them if I want to.
 
33. Whistling is what I do when I am nervous…like all the time when I was teaching Cartoon Girl to drive. But my grandpa taught me to whistle so I love it.  

34. My friends are the most awesome people in the whole wide world. 

35. HHBL is the most fabulous husband in the world….and he is ALL mine.

36. Most of the time I have a sunny, if somewhat odd, disposition. The “bad” days don’t come that often. 

37. I am a Star Trek fan. Always have been. Always will be. Live long and prosper. 

38. Read Lord of the Rings LONG before it was “popular” to do so, like when I was in 7th grade. And I read them on a yearly basis for many years.  

39. Dunkin Donuts Chocolate Glazed donuts and a cup of coffee is just about the perfect snack. 

40. Adaptability thou art my middle name…at least at the moment anyways.

41. I go to bed at 10p, I get up at 5a. I love 5a.

42. Regarding #34, I also whistle when I am happy.  

43. Gardening makes me happy and is genetically passed on from my parents and grandparents. 

44. I have learned that it is OK to sit and read a book in the afternoon. I don’t have to be constantly busy.

45. I would rather give a hug than a handshake  

46. The grocery store! I love to go grocery shopping, especially with my mom. 

47. If I hold an opinion firmly I have taken the time to think it through and do the research. 

48. I love to learn.

49. People watching! I love to watch people. Thank you Grandpa Pringle 

50. I sing loudly in the car. No one can see me right?

Whew! I thought I would never get that done! It was much harder than I thought, not because there aren’t 50 things that I like about me but just that it was hard to put them into words.

I thought this might be an appropriate post for today because….

today……..

today……..

I am 50 years old. I have passed the half century mark. I have been married half my ENTIRE life.

There, I have said it. Now I can go and do something fun. Like watch the painters paint my house. But HHBL is taking me out to dinner so that is good.

Can you think of 50 things that you like about yourself? 25 maybe? If so leave me a comment, I would love to know what they are.

15 comments:

  1. Beets ~ really?? Happy 50th my friend! I would put a list together of 36 things I like about myself, but I am sure the kiddos would destroy my home in the time it took me to do that!! I guess a couple things I love are:

    -Being mushy/gooshy with my hubby
    -Staying home with my wild and crazy bunch of kiddos
    -Having a best friend as my sister
    -Cooking, Cooking, Cooking

    Love ya and enjoy your day girlfriend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 50th Birthday! Or as my oldest pointed out when I turned 50, you have lived half a century. Yes, I did thank her for that reminder as well. :)

    I don't know if I could put into words 50 things...and I can't even think of one to put down right now because you asked. Maybe I will follow your lead and do a post of my own one day. I can agree with number 50 ~ we are invisible when we sing (and/or dance) in the car. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Deb--we do have some things in common--except I am 60.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh darn!! I forgot it was your 50th!! I would have gotten you an especially evil 50th birthday card instead of the one you got.

    Have a WONDERFUL birthday!! Oh, and by the way, I like all 50 things about you too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUU! Card is in the mail! Gosh, It was lost on me that you're the big 5-0 today! I hope many wonderful things as in store for you!

    Love you!
    Amanda Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 50th birthday, oh daughter of ours. D/M M/P DSA/JPA whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday, Deb! I am impressed with your list...I could NOT come up with 50. I'm taking the easy way out, I know, but I already did this, and it was REALLY, REALLY HARD...so here's the link. Go read it. :-)

    http://watchinggrass.blogspot.com/2009/08/heres-to-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!! I love you tons and tons of tons. One more thing that you should add to your list is that you like the fact that you birthed three lovely (if a little nutty) daughters.

    LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAPPY BIRTHDAU FRIEND!

    I think some of those are cop-outs. Just because a sandwich is delicious, doesn't mean you love that about yourself. I'll let you get away with it though since it's your birthday.

    I love your gray streak too! And yes! You DO make the best hand knit socks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Hope- I had beets on my salad at lunch!
    @LookLeap -Your card was hilarious!
    @Tamara - loved your list
    @Chelsea - I will admit that the sandwich one was a bit dubious but....

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEB!!!! You're truly a great friend and an asset to our little knitting group! Enjoy your day!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday, Deb, my source of gardening knowledge! Hope today was happy for you!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday, Debbie!

    I've been reading your blog for a little while now, and I love your humor! Keep writing!
    Oh, and good luck with selling the house!

    Ute

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday Debbie...I loved your list. You and I would SO get along. My sister Paula, who I adore, and best buddy Bridget just turned 51 in March...so there must be something to the attraction, even though I don't believe in astrology. Hmmm...maybe I should!
    Hope you had fun at the symphony.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am definitely impressed with 5, 15, 20 and 27. And probably a couple more. lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.