Monday, March 26, 2012

Eleven Reading Questions

Blame Stephanie over at So Many Books. These questions are totally her idea, born out of another meme that she was “commanded” to take part in.

This is not a meme so don’t worry that I am going to ask any of you to participate. Unless you want to that is. And if you do then just put that in the comments so that I can go and stalk your answers.

But I digress.

Here are Eleven Reading Questions and my answers.

1. What is the first book you remember reading? Hmmmmm, I would have to say that the first book I remember reading would be Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss. Don’t you wonder how many children remember a Dr. Seuss book as being the first one that they read. I also remember my mom reading me Bambi at bed time. In fact, I still have that book

2. What book on your shelves have you owned the longest?
I have a copy of An Old Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott that I have had for as long as I can remember, at least since the age of 7 or so. I don’t know where it came from or who it came from. All I know is that it is beloved, ragged, worn, well read.


3. What is the oldest book on your shelves in term of when that particular edition was published.
I have a leather bound set of Charles Dickens that dates from 1890. They are lovely.


4. If you could meet a character from any book, what character would you like to meet? Anne Elliot from Jane Austen’s Persuasion

5. What no longer living author do you wish were alive to write just one more book? Rumer Godden. I remember the first time I ever read In This House of Brede. I was hooked and I have never looked back.

6. Where is your favorite place to read?
Oh this one is EASY. And if you have been hanging around here for any length of time then you know the answer…….
Big Red


7. Do you like to snack when reading? Unfortunately sometimes. What I usually have beside me is a large glass or mug of something to drink, usually coffee or tea.

8. Do you read with music playing or the TV on? Rarely if ever. The music can be something that has no words with it, say classical or jazz or just piano. But if there are words involved then it interferes with my concentration. And the TV always interferes with my reading.

9. Has the internet shortened your attention span and made it harder to read books as cultural critics claim, or is your ability for sustained reading as good or better than ever? No I don’t think so as far as the internet is concerned. I still manage to read 100+ books a year. What has intruded into my sustained reading is more just “life” and feeling somehow like there is something else that I ought to be doing. I am trying to get over that ridiculous feeling.

10. Do you belong to a book club.
Yes I do. But I have been a bad girl and have missed the last two meetings. Shame on me. But I had a good excuse I promise. And I had read both the books.


11. What book or author haven’t you read yet and are always saying you’d like to get around to it “someday”. Oh that is a long list, almost too much to contemplate. But I guess, if I had to pick one author, it would be Eudora Welty. And if my friend Amy ever sees that previous sentence she is going to come all the way from Arkansas and beat me senseless. She loves Eudora Welty that much.

OK, I want you to let me know what your answers would be. I love to see what everyone else’s “reading life” is like.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, these are great questions. I just might have to play along. Thanks. I loved reading your answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first remember reading a huge book I received for my 1st birthday, "Young Years"--a collection of poems and fairy tales. Does anyone remember a cute poem about table manners called The Goops? There are a few special leaves and even some 4-leaf clovers still pressed between the pages of this book. I still have it on the shelf. Another keeper is a 1946 copy of "Miss Hickory", a Newberry Medal book that belonged to my mother and bears the author's signature on the title page.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.