Friday, March 30, 2012

7 Quick Takes (Vol 159) The Musings on Travel Volume

7_quick_takes_sm

Well it is Friday again. That sneaky day of the week. And seeing as I didn’t get back in town until Tuesday evening it seems even sneakier. So, after reading my insanely rambling blather make sure you click on the picture above to be whisked, at the speed of taxi drivers who descend on you at the Lima airport, over to Conversion Diary to check it all out.

Ola!

1.
The thing I most dislike about coming back from a trip is that it takes me a while to get back in the “swing” of things. I was gone almost 12 days including travel time. That means that it is going to take me at least a week to really be back in the normal routine.

Grrrrrr

For instance. The calendar tells me that this is Friday. But my brain doesn’t know that. I am not exactly sure what day it thinks we are in but Friday isn’t it.

2.
One of the things that I appreciate the very most about getting back home is that I can brush my teeth with the water that is coming out of the tap.

And not worry about getting any water in my mouth when I am taking a shower.

And having ICE in my glass of water

Those may seem like little things but they are not believe you me. The brushing your teeth thing is actually the big one. It is a big pain in the patookiss to have to pour water out of a bottle onto your tooth brush, brush your teeth and then remember NOT to rinse the tooth brush with water from the tap. The risks if you do are just not worth it.

One of the first things I did when I got home on Tuesday was brush my teeth with my own tap water….and have a glass of ice water.

3.
In Peru, if you are changing your US dollars into Peruvian Solas or even just paying for something with US dollars….your US dollars MUST be in perfect condition.

If they have a tear, even a small one……they are no good.

If they are even a bit worn…….they are no good.

If they have writing on them……they are no good.

If they are overly creased……..they are no good.

The money changer on the street (I always go to the same guy who is right by the Wong’s grocery store) will not take them. Jose, our driver, will not take them. The grocery store clerk will not take them. The BANK will not take them.

And every single time I go to Peru I forget this little principle. And we end up frantically searching through our cash to find bills that are acceptable.

Next time I go to Peru (in two years) I am going to get my cash from the bank and it is going to be in NEW BILLS so that we don’t have this problem again.

4.
HHBL and I cashed in some frequent flier miles to make this latest trip to Peru. Believe me, we had enough to do that. And when HHBL made the reservations those many long months ago he happened to hit a day when we could swing First Class and Business Class both down and back.

Let me say that again….

First Class….

Business Class…..

Can I please fly First Class always and forever again? It isn’t just the whole boarding before everyone else, although that is really sweet. It might be the fact that we were handed Mimosas while we waited for all the rest to board. And I could sit there and sip while people struggled to the back of the plane.

Or it might have been the fact that on the long haul portions of the flight we were greeted BY NAME by the flight attendant as he came around to write down our order for our meal. And then said meal was served on real plates with real silverware and glassware. And I had a choice of wine.

And I had leg room.

I would like to fly First/Business Class all the time thankyouverymuch.

5.
When we are visiting Abuela and Alberto, their “house man” Ruperto does laundry for us. It always nice for someone else to do your laundry for you. Give him the pile in the morning and it arrives back on your bed in the afternoon

And Ruperto returns everything ironed.

Yes, I said ironed. My tee shirts are ironed, even my work out ones. My shorts are ironed. My jeans are ironed. If he could iron my underwear I think he might do that.

Thank goodness he didn’t.

6.
You would think, in a country that produces the most fabulous alpaca products, that it would be easier to find alpaca yarn to buy.

If you think that you would be wrong.

You can buy all the colorful products that you could ever need that have been produced with alpaca yarn. No problem there. But I had to work pretty hard to find people who were selling the yarn.

But I managed.

And I hand carried it all back in it’s own little carry on bag.

7.
And here for your viewing pleasure are some pictures from Dahling the ipod. With commentary of course.

IMG_0294

Boarding Group 1. Oh how sweet that is. And in the first row too. Life is good.

IMG_0296

A hot breakfast sandwich on a two hour flight. I may never be the same again.

IMG_0302

Smoked salmon, a hot and crusty roll and a good glass of Chardonnay. I think I will.

Obviously I was obsessed with food on this trip. I am sure as shootin’ that this won’t be the last time you will hear me talk about food.

IMG_0314

When we arrived at the hotel in Cusco we were immediately handed a restorative cup of Coca Tea…..evidently made with the same plant that produces that powder that you shouldn’t buy. The tea was good.

IMG_0315

Everyone should wear hand knit socks to climb all the steps at Machu Picchu. Of course if I had known that it was going to be unseasonably warm there that day I might have not worn wool socks.

IMG_0318

Ummmmmm, I might have bought some yarn in Peru.

Maybe.

1 comment:

  1. #3--I know! This happened all the time when I lived in Russia and visited parts of the former USSR in Central Asia. At least now they will change bills lower than Franklins, because honestly, it was a pain in the patootey to always have to be carrying $100 bills around. (To say nothing of the fact that the money changers would give you the rubles in these crazy high denominations that no one on the street can give you change for--so annoying).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.