Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Beauty in Miniature

I am trying to spend some time experimenting with my do it yourself macro photography using my reversing ring and one of the lenses that it fits on. Those lenses would be the 50mm, 85mm and my stock 18-55mm.

I am sure that having an actual macro lens would make things a whole lot easier. But I don’t always want easy…and right now a macro lens just isn’t in the budget. That would be a completely frivolous purchase. Some day perhaps….some day. But in the mean time I want to get everything possible out of this set up that I have. I want to own it, so to speak. Working with the reversing ring means that I have to slow down and think about what I want to do. I have found that most of the time I get the best results by having Big Bertha on a tripod and whatever I am photographing laid stationary on a small platform I have rigged up with an onld box and some felt. Focusing is a slow and precise process and isn’t always great. I am going to have to do some more research here because I am spending time looking at other photographer’s work using a reversing ring and the photos are often much sharper than mine. It is a learning process.

But it is so entirely fascinating. Every day things look so very different and so incredibly beautiful when looked at really close up. I have a growing list of “Everyday Things” that I am going to take the time to photograph.

Tree blossom 1

Outside of our bedroom window is a tree with the most beautiful blossoms on it. This is one of the blossoms that wasn’t quite at the fully open stage.

I am completely mesmerized by some of the results that I am getting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.