Friday, June 29, 2012

7 Quick Takes (Vol 171)

7_quick_takes_sm

All I have to say is a big fat thank you to the person who invented air conditioning. So, you all know the rules. After you have slowly and carefully read the scorching hot blather that I have produced you need to click on the picture above. When you do that you will be whisked, at the speed of the invectives being rained down on Chief Justice Roberts head, over to Conversion Diary to see what everyone else is up to.

Blather slowly today folks. It is HOT!

1.
My baby is coming home for the 4th of July!!

Hurrah!

2.
OK, I have to make a decision on whether to stick my nose into something at the Community Garden and get all rule Nazi on someone. And if we were having a year where we got even a decent amount of rain this wouldn’t tick me off. But this year rain is pretty much non-existent. And that means that all of us are spending loads of time out at the garden watering. We stand there and lovingly water plants. And stand, and weed, and stand, and water and weed at the same time. It takes time.

I was out early this morning watering. One of the other plot owners comes in, pulls one of the hoses (of which there are four) down to his plot, sets up his sprinkler (the most inefficient way to water by the way) and then gets back in his car and leaves. As I watched him get back in his car and pull out of the parking area my brain is thinking, “He isn’t really leaving is he? He isn’t supposed to do that!”

Ummmm, SIR!!! I might direct your eyes to the “Rules of the Garden” that we all try to follow. Rule 4b states that you must be present in the garden during the time that you are watering.

I stood there for a moment caught on the horns of a thorny garden dilemma and tamping down my inner garden police officer. If it had been Saturday morning, when it is very busy in the garden, I would have disconnected his hose so that others could use it. I am sorry to say that I might have enjoyed doing that much more than I should.  I left it this time because there was one other hose available. But I think I am going to have to leave him a note. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he doesn’t know the rule since he usually parks at the garden gate that doesn’t have a copy of the rules posted.

But I think I have to leave a note. A nice one mind you.

But a note.

3.
Can I just say that you can learn to do ANYTHING via YouTube.

Last week I decided that I needed to learn how to “throw” my pizza dough.

But where to learn??

YouTube of course. There is something for everyone on there. Even multitudinous numbers of videos on various ways to throw your dough.

It was a great deal of flour filled fun. I will be practicing again today. And I have to say that the dough was much better for the multiple trips into the air.

And I didn’t even drop it on the floor!

4.
HHBL update: the calf is getting better day by day. He is no longer using the walking boot and doesn’t even limp all that much. There is still a bit of swelling but there was no bruising to speak of.

But there still won’t be any baseball for a bit. Nor any biking for at least another week. Not that I am all that excited about getting on Hi Ho Silver on a day when it was 75F at 6:30a.

Thanks for all the emails and prays!!

5.
Did you notice my new header???

I am thinking that I will do a new one monthly, just as a change of bloggy pace. I am bored with the blog look at the moment but I am not sure what I want to do with it. Still thinking about it. This was a good stop gap measure.

And just as an aside, my daily page views are up but the number of comments is down. Why is that?

Do you all not like me?

6.
Continuing obsession with the humming birds

IMG_8764A
Look at his little birdie feet!! The light limiting screens on the windows gives a sort of fuzzy and dreamy quality to the photo that I am learning to like.

They must have fledged their babies because all of a sudden there are more of them zooming around an tweeting at each other.

And speaking of baby (sort of) birds.

IMG_8752A

Momma and Daddy Rose Breasted Grosbeak are still feeding the kids. The baby sits on the top of the feeder, vibrates it’s wings and makes the little sound in it’s throat while waiting for breakfast. Not sure how much longer this is going to go on. In fact, I haven’t ever observed this feeding ritual before. But I am enjoying it while it lasts.

7.
I just finished up a two and a half week stint as LaurenLeap’s “cat and flower” care giver. The cats are still living and so are most of the flowers.

The first couple of days were a bit dicey as far as the cats were concerned. They always just need to get used to me. But after about Day 5 it was all, “WHERE HAVE YOU BEEEEEEEEEEEEN! WE ARE HUUUUUUUNNNNNNNGGGGGGRRRRRRYYYYYYY! FEEEEEEEEEED US! SCRAAAAAAAAAAAATCH US! NOW!”

It was nice to be able to get a regular kitty fix for a bit.

Sorry about those purple flowers Lauren. They just refused to live despite all my tender loving care.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about the low comment count. We are bad subscribers. Bad, bad, bad. We will try harder. (I hope.)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.