Friday, August 7, 2009

7 Quick Takes (Vol 33)


Good golly where does the time go?? Here it is Friday again and time for Quick Takes. Be sure to click on the picture above and check out all the other quick takers because we all like to have some blog traffic AND COMMENTS (hint, hint)

-1-
Often times when people are reading a book they use whatever is handy to mark their place. A scrap of paper, an old envelope. You know you have done it. I have done it occasionally but not too often because I have a collection of book marks that I always use. However, sometimes people forget that they have stuck something in a book. They return the book to the library or more likely the book goes back on a shelf and eventually is sold or donated or something and the little piece of your life goes with it. Do you wonder what happens to that stuff? I do. I have found the most interesting blog called Forgotten Bookmarks. The fellow works in a used book store and he chronicles the things that he finds in the books that he buys. I am obsessed. I love to go over there and wander through the archives, I have the blog on my RSS feed so that I don't miss any posts. I am such a nerd.

-2-
I am sad. I am sad because this is the first year in, well a long time, that I don't have to take at least one progeny shopping for all those really cool school supplies. Nope it isn't happening this year because Shoe Queen goes off to college and she is the youngest progeny. Maybe I will just go and buy some crayons and pens and paper and all that. I can bring it home and lay it out on the table and think about what can be done with it. Really, I do need to go and get a box of Crayola 64 crayons. I always wanted a box of those growing up and never had one - sad violin music ensues - I had to buy a box for myself so that I could open it up and look at all those lovely crayons lined up, those wonderful pointy tips all ready for me to color something.....only I was 24 not 4 and didn't have much call to be coloring at that time in my life. I am so sad, and such a dork (I sense a theme here).

-3-
Answer me a question. Why oh why when I am in a hurry is everyone else.....so......s.l.o.w. For the love of Pete people, I had places to go Tuesday and deli trays to pick up and take to a meeting and for that matter I was supposed to be in charge of taking notes at said meeting. All I wanted to do was pick up the deli tray and the plates and the napkins and the utensils and the....I am rambling aren't I.

Going to the grocery store at 4p to get that deli tray reminded me why I do my grocery shopping in the morning on Mondays - because there isn't anyone in the store at that time. There were all these people in the store with giant carts full of groceries and they were all standing around the deli counter ordering a pound of this and 2/3 of a pound of that. By the way, who ever orders 2/3 of a pound of hard salami? They were in all the check out lanes and clogging the aisles and even the self check lanes were full. ARGHHHHHHHH. I finally got checked out and then I had the pleasure of getting behind some little old lady from Parma who was going 20 miles under the speed limit ON THE HIGHWAY.

I am done now.

-4-
Here I am with my cousins. We love each other very much
Can't you just feel the love oozing out of all of us.
I do have to say - in a whining tone - that is is hard to be the elephant in the group of graceful gazelles. Sigh.

-5-
There is just something wrong when I take such pleasure in having a bowl of ice cream in the evening AND watching Big Medicine on the Discovery Channel. I don't know what it is about those kinds of programs but I just love to watch them. I did feel guilt about having that ice cream though....

-6-
What is that a picture of you might be asking yourself. Well, yesterday I went wedding dress shopping with The Engaged One. I took many pictures - 130 to be exact - and this is just one of them. It was a very unusual experience to be shopping for wedding dresses with your own daughter. We had a great time and a longer post will be coming with MANY pictures, you should run and hide now. I still have trouble getting my head around the fact that come next May I will gain a son-in-law, one who understands why people like me take "artsy fartsy" pictures because he does that himself.

-7-
I live by my planner. There I have proclaimed it to the world. I would be lost without my planner. It has my lists from day to day, it tells me what I have to do at work and if I have accomplished that. It is my friend. But every few years I get the "planner wanderlust" where I just have to change planner formats. This is that year and I have spent money on a new planner in a new format. But now I have to wait until January to actually use it!!! It is going to sit there on my desk tempting me. I will open it and look at it. I already have things on the calendar for next year. I really am a dork (see #1 and #2). Oh well, I will embrace my dorkiness and go and look for the perfect mechanical pencil for it.

See you next week.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie! New visitor here! I just have to say I'm starting to mourn already the loss of my second child to college. The college kids don't leave until next week, and I still have 4 at home, but I"M SAD! Aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sara, I vacillate back and forth on mourning the last child going to college. HHBL and I started having children early into our marriage (we had been married 18 months when Cartoon Girl came along and that was my second pregnancy since our wedding) so we are looking forward to having some time alone. But, and that is a BIG but, I miss having my girls at home. I am also struggling with how I define myself now that the last one is leaving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never had a box of 64 crayons either. My dad didn't let us have name brand stuff. I love to color. My children will have THE BEST crayons and coloring books.

    7- I'm trying a new planner this Jan. too. I'm VERY nervous about it. I ordered it yesterday... I'm havina bit of anxiety about the switch.

    I'm 24 and I've been out of school for 2 years. Not sure if it helps you but know this... we get better once we're gone. You'll love the relationship you have with your kids. Girls, specifically.

    I'm doing a 7 Things List today.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm a new visitor, too.

    Can relate to the wedding thing--my only son graduates from college this December and gets married on January 9th. It's all good, but it's a change, you know? Like you, I'm looking forward to a little alone time with the hubby, but I sometimes wonder what it will be LIKE.....

    Glad to know I'm not the only one wondering!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here from CD, thanks for the bookmarks link. My husband is obsessive about his bookmarks (he uses a receipt) and it is one of his crosses to bear that I never use one and often lose his. I'll send him this to brighten his day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo, I can't wait to see more wedding dress pictures! What an exciting time for you and The Engaged One!

    From one fellow dork to another, I too love my lists of things to do and would be lost without them!
    Elle

    ReplyDelete
  7. In case it hasn't be said yet, you can buy school supplies to your heart's content and then donate them to a local school or kid's club. I too, love the school supply shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo, ooo, ooo! I want to see some dress pictures! Upload, upload, upload!!! *whip snap*.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.