Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Who Are Your Heros

I was struck recently by a quote from George Carlin. It reads as follows:
Aren't you sick of being told who your heroes oughta be? Being told who you oughta look up to? I'll choose my own heroes thank you very much.
I was struck with how true that statement is and how sad it is that so many people list as personal heroes people who are so unworthy of that title... Paris Hilton, anyone associated with Hollywood, various rappers, the latest "it" person that the media says we should emulate, the list is endless. We are such a media driven, visual culture and therefore we list as heroes those we see, not necessarily putting into place any thinking about whether those people are "hero worthy". In almost every case that I can think of those who are held up for adulation and hero worship are not hero worthy by any stretch of the imagination.

So, this little quote got me to thinking about who my "heroes" are. Here is my list. You may not agree with it, you may not know the people on the list. But it is my list and since the blogosphere is basically one big narcissistic love fest where we all think that everyone wants to know everything that we think, you are just going to have to endure it.

This list is in no particular order, just how they came up in my seriously odd brain.

1. The men and women who serve in our military. Now this can't be a surprise to you guys. Come one, I have given enough hints on this that it should be absolutely obvious. We have an all volunteer army folks. That means that these people say yes to the military because they choose to do so, not because we are drafting them. They are intelligent, dedicated people who keep us safe. They serve in the far flung areas of the world, leaving family at home.

2. my husband Dan (awwww, isn't that sweet). No really, he is. He is a man of integrity who does what needs to be done, even if it is painful for him. I have seen many times when he has put the interests of his employees above himself. He is a loving and caring father and husband and he makes me laugh.

3. my closest friends Dottie, Heather, Sue, the other Sue, Carolyn and Lauren. All these women have walked through one trial or another in the last few years and have done so with grace. Their love for the Lord is obvious and they have been an inspiration to me. I want to be just like all of them when I grow up.....if I ever grow up that is.

4. my mom, dad and brother (another awwww moment). My dad for his commitment to excellence, my mom for her heart of hospitality and my brother for his humor and also his commitment to excellence and being a man of God. There are a ton of other reasons but those are at the top of the list. I had great growing up years with loads of laughter.

5. My Grandpa Pringle. I miss him every day, I think about him every day. His heart for education and helping young men and women to be all that the Lord would have them to be infuses all of my childhood.

There are others I think, and I may do this again at a later date but these are the top. No pop culture icons (heaven forbid!), no idiotarians from Washington. Just ordinary people. That is who your heros should be I am thinking.

3 comments:

  1. Did you ever know that you're my heeeeeero?

    :D I love you, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness you don't look like Bette Midler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You absolutely made my day. Thank you.

    (By the way, is it possible for two people to be each others' hero?? Because you're one of mine.)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.