Thursday, February 12, 2009

7 Quick Takes (Vol 10)

Oh how the time doth fly (I have been reading too much in the King James Bible). Look it is Friday already and time for 7 Quick Takes. Check out Conversion Diary for more pithy tidbits.
-1-
Oh look at these beauties.
I can tell you that they tasted even better than they look and the recipe was very easy to produce. The recipe for Sunday Brunch Cinnamon Buns came from one of my very favorite cooking sites, Baking Bites. I will tell you that I made some slight changes to the recipe. I use instant yeast almost exclusively when I bake yeast breads instead of packets of yeast. That means that you add the yeast directly to the dry ingredients and don't "proof" it in heated liquid first. I also substituted softened butter for the milk wash when you put the rolls together. I am hungry just looking at these. Don't be afraid of yeast breads. They are really easy to do and the end results are so worth it.
-2-
What is it that my dog finds so interesting to bark at out there in the dark. It is early in the morning here and he is madly barking at something in the woods (and we have A LOT of woods). He and the dog next door will bark at each other from afar and it always reminds me of that scene in "One Hundred and One Dalmatians" where the dogs have a communication line where they share news by barking at each other. Yeah, whatever as my 18 year old would say.
-3-
I have to plan a short "Civil War Battlefields Trip" for the hubby and I. Just 5 days. Besides the obvious trip to Gettysburg I am still stumped as to which way to take this thing. I know, it screams history nerd but that is sort of what I am. Remember the thing about all the kings and queens of England in a previous Quick Takes. So, I just need to get this thing done. Any suggestions?
-4-
I am spending several hours a day this week scanning pictures into my computer. I scrap book (that sounds like I am confessing something at a "scrappers anonymous" meeting) and I have three children and I want to use the same pictures in all their scrap books. Since I didn't start using a digital camera until 2002 that means that my vast collection of pictures prior to that time have to be scanned if I want to duplicate them. It is tedious let me tell you. But, there is a silver lining. I may be sitting in front of my computer too much but I am having a blast looking at all these pictures. Too much fun.Are they not the cutest girls. They spent hours and hours in dress up clothes. Of course, now they are all adults and have in general better fashion sense but this is one of my favorite pictures.
-5-
If you have children do you have "pet" names for them? I don't know where or when it started but at some point in time we created nicknames for all of our children and even though none of them are teenagers or little anymore we still call them by these names. In fact, I think that I use the nicknames more often than their "real" names. And the names are varied and in some cases have absolutely no connection to their real names. Why is that?
-6-
I just realized that today is Friday the 13th. I don't believe in the concept of "luck" so most of the time the concept of bad luck on Friday the 13th, or at other times for that matter, just goes sailing over my head. I believe that all things in my life are ordered and ordained by my Lord and Savior and that luck has nothing to do with it.
-7-
I am off to my monthly breakfast with my prayer group. I love these women (which I might have mentioned before in my ramblings). For so many years when the girls were little I had no close female friends. After the birth of my youngest daughter I went through a period of profound depression and I remember at one point literally being on my face in my living room and crying out to the Lord. Asking for one friend, one female friend who would understand and be there beside me. I can tell you that the Lord answers prayer and abundantly when we cry from our hearts. He gave me friends in abundance. They are different as different can be, some of them know the Lord and some don't. But I am blessed beyond measure by their presence in my life.

Have a great week. See you "same time, same station" next week. Sorry, I indulged in some YouTube watching this week and what I indulged in was old reruns of Batman.

4 comments:

  1. I still can't believe that you are going on a Civil War battlefields tour without me. I am so mad about that...

    If it weren't for the fact that I got your package with all of the dried fruit and candy in it, I might be even more mad at you :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am quaking in my boots at the thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your girls are adorable! My son, BB has numerous nicknames, none of which applies to his name. Most commonly used is "squishy." I have no idea why I started called him that, I just do. Enjoy the Civil War trip. That's totally something DH would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mimi and I did a Civil War battlefield trip with Roger and Sue a number of years ago. While Gettysburg is certainly the best-known historic site, any Civil War battlefield trip needs to include a stop at (a) Antietam . . . AKA Sharpsburg, MD . . . where the bloodiest battle of the Civil War took place, and (b) Petersburg, VA. Here the Union Army under General George Mead laid siege to the Confederate Army under command of General Robert E. Lee as they attempted to defend their capital of Richmond. You can still see the depression in the earth from the Battle of the Crater (remember the movie Cold Mountain)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.