Thursday, January 22, 2015

Reunited And It Feels SO Good

One of the things that throws you when you move from one domicile to another is where to put well loved things.

The picture that has ALWAYS hung in the front entry just doesn’t fit there any longer.

The couch has to go in a different room.

Big Red…..was abandoned in the basement. We all know how much I love him. How he has been apart of my life, whether residing in various Chez Knit or when I was growing up and visiting him at the Grandparental Units house.

Big Red and I were like peas and carrots.

And then we moved from OCK to Chez Knit. And I was caflomoxed. I was confused. I was uncertain as to what to do. I just couldn’t decide what to do about Big Red. There wasn’t any chance in heck that he was going to be able to reside in the living room or the family room. His looks have suffered over the years. He looks a bit worn and shabby (don’t we all) and there might be some seams that are frayed or coming apart.

There was no place to put him upstairs. HHBL has his own well loved reading chair and the guest bedroom is small and already well stocked with a reading chair. So when we moved I, with a catch in my voice, told the movers (yuck, PATOOIE!) to put him in the basement for the time being. Oh he wasn’t stored in the unfinished side, he at least had a place to call home on the finished side. But he was lonely. I knew it each time I walked by and looked at him. We had no time together. There was no familiar WHOOSH of musty leathery air as I sat in his lap to read a book.

Maybe that is why Big Red has always been a “he” to me. I sit in his lap…..maybe we had better stop there.

Where was I? Ah yes, Big Red and his banishment.

Fast forward to Saturday. Saturday is always filled with all the things that don’t get done during the week, like laundry…and cleaning…and stuff. I was running in and out of the bedroom and all of a sudden it hit me. The set up in one corner of the room just wasn’t right. I had a bunch of old boxes stacked on top of each other and all filled with books. We are short of bookshelves around here. It looked nice…but it just wasn’t right. I stood there and stood there and puzzled until my puzzler was sore. And then it struck me, like a bolt of well loved leather lightening.

BIG RED WOULD FIT THERE!!!

I wasn’t sure at first, not until I moved all the boxes and put their contents on the other bookshelves on the opposite side of the room. I took a look and had a thought and knew it was the right thing to do. Thank goodness HHBL was home because then I could enlist his help in hauling Big Red upstairs. I was so enthused about the project that I would have done it on my own (ask me some time about moving the LARGE wooden wardrobe all by myself from the second floor to the first) and most likely killed my back in the process.

2015-01-22 11.38.27

Ahhhhhhhhhh. The perfect place to do my before bedtime reading…and my afternoon reading….and perhaps my morning reading.

We are reunited! And may we never be parted again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.