Friday, July 27, 2012

7 Quick Takes (Vol 175)

7_quick_takes_sm

As Shakespeare would say if he were here, “Time, it doth fly like the moth on the wind”.

Or not.

You know the deal. Read my blather, ingest it and cogitate on it. Then click on the picture above to be whisked, at the speed of my rapidly disappearing hosta, over to Conversion Diary to see the rest.

On you marks! Get set! BLATHER!!!!

1.
OK, let’s get the griping and whining out of the way right now.

We all know that I love technology. And I especially love it when it works well and you don’t have to jump through extra hoops just to do one stupid thing.

Yesterday was not one of those days.

All I wanted to do was download an audiobook from the library. That is all that I wanted to do. And because that is all that I wanted to do I ended up having to download a security fix for my media player. And it wouldn’t download at first so I had to research until I finally figured out that I had to do it through Internet Explorer (I hate IE). And then I had to download software to be able to DOWNLOAD the darn book onto my computer because that particular book couldn’t be downloaded directly onto my ipod over the internet due to “contractual issues”. And then I had to download the book to the computer. And then I had to start itunes and change settings. And then I had to connect the ipod and change more settings. And then I had to download and then re-download and then re-download AGAIN because all the parts didn’t seem to want to download. And then I had to figure out where it actual was on my ipod.

Audiobooks (that seemed obvious). Nope!

Podcast? Nope!

Music? Nope!…..

Playlist?

Yes.

All I wanted to do was download a darn book.

2.
Book Club was last night. As with many book clubs this one started about a year ago somewhat spontaneously. A number of us met to discuss a book that one of us recommended. We enjoyed it so much that we picked another book, and then another, and then another after that.

And pretty soon an entire year had gone by and we knew we just had to keep going.

Last night was a bit different because for the first, and most likely the last time……

We actually had the author of our book club selection there with us. And it was so much FUN!

Our selection was A Basket Full of Broken Dishes by Naomi Mullet Stutzman and our assessment was an enthusiastic thumbs up!

Naomi has written the story of her parents, Simon and Susan Mullet, their faith in Christ and their difficult journey out of the Amish community here in Northeast Ohio. Believe me when I tell you that the Amish life is not all sweetness and light. 

It gave us great insight to actually have Naomi there to give further back story and answer questions. And it was a just a  joy because I have known Naomi for a long time but didn’t know until recently that her parents had been Amish. You just never know what you don’t know about long time friends.

If you have a chance go and read A Basket Full of Broken Dishes. It will touch your heart.

3.
image 22-4-2009

In my hours long photo scanning session yesterday I came up with this photo. Why do I care about a photo of me (far left in the picture), the Hook girls, Pilot Man and Auntie Jane all lying on the pull out couch watching TV?

It is because of what I am resting against. When I saw that picture I just did a short happy dance. That object that I am resting against was my stuffed “Sea Snake” Cecil. He was one of a kind, made by my Grandmother Amsler.

image 2009-12-14 0001

Cecil the Sea Snake and I were constant slumber companions from the moment he came into my life. He had a felt head and a patchwork body made up of pieces of fabric from other projects that Grandmother had sowed. There was satin from a wedding dress, cotton from her dresses, wool, corduroy. All manner of fabric. He was long enough that when I was little I could form his body into a “U” shape under the covers and sleep in the protective area he formed.

I loved him.

At some point in time Cecil disappeared. I know not were. I weep for his loss.

And you can bet your bottom dollar that when the grandchildren arrive they are each getting their own Cecil.

Everybody needs a Cecil the Sea Snake when they are growing up.

4.
In the space of about two weeks the four footed pains in my patookis deer have laid waste to my hosta.

Of course I haven’t been spraying the smelly stuff as much this year so that was to be expected. I did right at first and then I ran out. And after a while I just decided Pffffffft! and I haven’t gotten out to get more.

And even has I write this I can look out and see fawn and momma happily eating the neighbor’s plants.

Grrrrrrrrrr.

But to offset that I am just now looking out on about 10 turkeys, moms and young, who are scratching around in the front beds looking for seeds and having turkey sibling fights.

Hey that’s MY seed!

No it’s not!

Yes it is!

Mom loves me better!

No she doesn’t!

Yes she does!

You’ve got a big turkey butt!

MOM!

Seriously the turkey sibling rivalry is hilarious to watch.

Now if the deer would just stay on the other side of the street at Linda’s house (sorry Linda) we would all be happy.

Or at least I would be happy. I am not sure about Rick and Linda.

5.
The first zucchini of the season was consumed this week. I caramelized some onions and then threw in the sliced up zucchini and gave it a quick saute. I did not let it get all mushy, just barely cooked through was what I wanted. Slipped it all out of the pan onto my plate, dusted it with some Kosher salt, sprinkled with a generous portion of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

VOILA! A delicious lunch.

I may do that again today.

6.
The best thing about blueberry season?

Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Bread made with my homemade yogurt and blueberries picked from the farm two miles away. If I could have grown the lemons I would have

I am on my second piece this morning.

DON’T JUDGE! It was my breakfast and it was deeeeeeeeelicious.

7.
And last but not least…..

The Olympic Games begin tonight!!!!!!!

And that means that all my Knit Sibs will be descending on Chez Knit this evening for the official opening of the Ravellenic Games. There will be fiber. There will be needles. There will be food.

There will be Sangria!

Just as a reminder to myself and the world (so that I don’t wimp out). I will be attempting to start AND finish this…..

Dwarrowdelf

The Darrowdelf Stole

I will keep you posted on the progress.

Overload of TV here I come!

4 comments:

  1. I always enjoy your quick takes and these made me smile. Have a great weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zucchini from the garden-yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! Gorgeous Lace, Adorable Cecil (lovelovelove), and a Bozo Punching Bag! My brother exploded ours by body-slamming it repeatedly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice picture! I can't figure out what we were watching. Probably Captain Kangaroo.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.