I have now been married longer than I was single.
I will let that soak in for a minute so that you can comprehend.
Today is my 26th anniversary.
And so, in honor of the day, I thought I might just shoot out to the bloggysphere 26 things that I like about HHBL. These are in no particular order of importance. Just whatever shoots out of my poor, feeble, 51 year old, 26 years married brain.
1. HHBL can make me laugh at just about anything. I won’t relate all the things here. Just know that I laugh…a lot.
2. He is pleasant to ride behind when taking a bike ride.
3. He is a man of integrity. Even when that is really, really hard
4. He puts up with my unique sense of humor.
5. He listens…..most of the time.
6. He is a fabulous father. And sometimes it is tough to be the father of three rather opinionated girls. I have NO IDEA how they got to be that way.
7. He takes me on fabulous trips where I can do things like tramp in the jungle looking for Golden Monkeys and fall in the mud (Rwanda) and fly on really small planes (Uganda) and see the butt end of the Taj Mahal (India) and marvel at the way people drive (Peru) and take bike rides down mountains (Hawaii, Alaska) and be attacked by big black beetles (Uganda).
8. He puts time and effort into finding me just the right gift for Christmas. And I don’t think that there has been a year that he hasn’t hit it right on the mark.
9. He is a follower of Christ.
10. He is a blogger. Now just how cool is that.
11. He is a damn fine specimen of man. Sorry, I said damn.
12. Even though he is not fond of broccoli or asparagus he will eat them if I make them. And he won’t complain about it. Now if I could just get him to eat beets.
13. He is a loving and caring friend who goes the extra mile.
14. He doesn’t necessarily get why I take pictures of odd things, like people’s feet or food, but he goes along with it.
15. He puts his socks in the hamper every single time. And he brings his hamper downstairs when it is full.
16. Baseball. Oh yes, baseball. I would never have come to love baseball without HHBL
17. He goes to the symphony with me. Now that is a nice husband.
18. If I need ice cream he gets me ice cream.
19. He pushes me to do things that are outside my comfort zone. Of course he is all about the change and I am all about the staying home but we compromise.
20. He loves and respects his parents and in-laws.
21. He has a mind like a sponge and if he needs to learn about something he learns all that he can.
22. He is my best friend.
23. He doesn’t have any trouble telling me when I am wrong. Not that I am wrong very often and not that I want to hear if I am but….
24. He helps with the dishes. Man I love that! It is the little things you know.
25. He is secure enough in himself that he doesn’t mind doing things like this….
Of course, right after he did that then I was forced to do this…
26. And there are lots of other benefits that I can’t tell you about. Move along. There is nothing to see here!
So, Happy Anniversary to my HHBL. I can hardly wait to see what the next 26 years will bring.