Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Problem with Netflix

OK, the title is probably not going to give you the correct impression. I LOVE Netflix. I mean, I really love it. I love movies and I hate going to the video store because well...it is a pain. And then I don't remember to take the darn movie back. Or, if the weather is really cold and you drop the movie in the outside drop box and the box freezes shut then they call you and tell you that you haven't returned the movie and that they are going to charge you a price that is equal to the GDP of a small African country....until you tell them that you returned the movie in the drop box. And then they say, in a rather small voice, "Oh, well the drop box has been frozen shut for the last week. I guess it is in there."

You think?

So, I love Netflix. And I love that they think that they know me so well that they can recommend things that I might like. How nice of them to be thinking of me....

But, they really don't know my movie watching life story. And because they don't then they keep recommending things that I have already seen or own. It isn't their fault really, they just don't know that I have been watching old movies since I could turn on the TV and find several hours of unstructured time.

At the present time this is what Netflix is telling me that I might like and add to my queue. Unfortunately I have seen all of them. And many more than once.

Auntie Mame -own it, love it
Friendly Persuasion
National Velvet
American in Paris - own it, love it
Driving Miss Daisy
Random Harvet - own it, love it
Now Voyager - own it, love it
Chariots of Fire - own it, love it
Gigi
Holiday Inn
Sleepless in Seattle
The Inn of Sixth Happiness
12 Angry Men
Dial M for Murder
Notorious
Arsenic and Old Lace - own it, love it
Forrest Gump
Adam's Rib
The Caine Mutiny
The Hunt For Red October - PLEASE, I know all the lines
Goodbye Mr. Chips
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Lawrence of Arabia - own it, love it
To Have and Have Not
His Girl Friday
High Noon
Goldfinger
Wait Until Dark
Born Yesterday
Woman of the Year
From Here to Eternity
Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison
Sayonara
The Gay Divorcee

I don't mean to complain but I had to go through 12 pages of recommendations before finding a page that had movies that I hadn't seen.

But it isn't the fault of Netflix, I understand that. It is the fault of midnight movies on the TV and TCM. And popcorn and Orange Crush. And teenage years when I didn't go to bed until 3a.
It just means that I have to work harder to find things that I want to watch. But they are there.

What are your favorite movies? Tell me and hopefully it is something that I will like but haven't seen yet.

4 comments:

  1. I was JUST sitting here, watching the snow storm outside, thinking today was the perfect day to watch a movie ... and I read your blog. Unfortunately, Mike isn't getting Netflix as a birthday gift until Monday and I'm not up to venturing out in the snow.

    Thankfully, he also just mentioned that this vacation would be the perfect time to watch three of our favorite movies ... The Lord of the Rings trilogy (the extended versions).

    Time to build a fire and become totally engulfed in a whole other world for the weekend!!

    Oh, how I LOVE snow storms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good recommendations ~ I will have to look them up on Netflix. Here are a few of our favs:

    Shawshank Redemption
    Notebook
    Gone With The Wind
    Scent Of A Woman
    The Green Mile
    A Few Good Men
    Jerry Maguire
    The Princess Bride

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Hope I have to say that....I have seen all of those except The Notebook. The Shawshank Redemption is a particular favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you've already seen these but these are some of my favorites:

    In America
    Whale Rider
    Sea Biscuit
    Corrina, Corrina
    The Waitress

    I also really enjoyed Food Inc. What an eye opener.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.