Do you set goals in your life? I hate to call them New Years Resolutions because, they might be something that will be ongoing for more than one year. Goals just seems a better word to use. If I have to use that word at all that is.
I am really terrible about setting goals. I don’t know why that is but it is. I am great at making lists of the immediate things to do and those I just bang through. I am an organized person and like to have things in their proper place. But goals…..they aren’t my bosom buddies. I said the word bosom and I really should apologize….but for some reason that word just makes me giggle.
But, I am an adult, or at least I play one at times and so I think that part of being an adult is having and setting goals. I mean, for the love of Pete, if Cartoon Girl can do it then why can’t I? She is 23 years old and I am…..older than that.
Goals are tricky things. They tend to change on you when you least expect it. What you thought was a goal really isn’t anymore. What you said that you were definitely going to do in 2009 and then gave up 5 weeks into the year just stares you in the face yelling, “Failure!” That tattoo of Ozzy Osborne that you worked so hard to pay for just doesn’t seem to fit in with who you are anymore…
No, I don’t have a tattoo of Ozzy anywhere on my person. Thanks for expressing concern though. And I don’t plan on getting a tattoo of any kind in the near future. Nothing against tattoos mind you, several of my favorite cousins have them, it is just that I rarely like to subject myself voluntarily to painful procedures. Look how long it took me before I had that crazy hysterectomy! And with that they were taking things out and not putting things in.
The other thing about actually writing goals down is that you have then, sort of, put them out there. They are real and living and can come back to bite you in the patookus. That might especially be the case if you get all crazy and put them down on a blog or something where the whole internet can see them if they happen by to the blog. That is a really scary thought and if you could see me right now you would know that I just want to stop my fingers from typing. I just want to go and have another cup of coffee and play with my new Nook which HHBL got me for Christmas and just forget the whole crazy idea of actually telling you what I might be thinking about as far as 2010 goals are concerned. Because if I don’t tell you then they aren’t real and you can’t hold me to them and then we are all cool and……. Oh FINE, I will tell you what I am thinking about doing and and and…..maybe accomplishing. But don’t hold me to them you know. That might mean that I actually have to accomplish something this year.
OK, OK, you have procrastinated long enough young lady. Put those goals out there and quit being such a namby pamby baby about it for the love of Pete!
1. I am going to attempt to read through the Bible in a year. I started doing this last year and made it about 1/3 of the way through and then, well, I didn’t finish it. So I am going to try again. If at first you don’t succeed and all.
2. I am cleaning my life out. And what I mean by that is that I am slimming down what I own. I have admitted before that I am a pack rat of sorts. I come by it genetically, if you could see my parents basement you would understand (sorry Mom but it is true!! although the pinecones are gone). But I have been feeling the burden of too much stuff and so I am taking care of it. We are going to move to a smaller place this year we hope and I am just not moving those things. I.AM.NOT. My mantra for the next few months is “clean it out/use it up/pitch it out”. I will let you know how it goes.
3. Gather more readers into the loving arms of the blog. But just how I do that is sort of a mystery to me in some ways. I mean, I have been here for almost two years and I love you all but there aren’t that many of you. If there are then you aren’t commenting or following. You are lurking like pimply teenage boys at the edge of the dance. Come into the light. Show me that you are there. Make me happy. Don’t make me come over there and get you. Seriously, how do you get more readers? I think there are multiple steps to this but I am still working on what they are.
4. Blog as many days as I possibly can. Does that scare you? It certainly scares me. I would like to say that will be 365 days but it won’t be. However it will be as many days as I can find topics to wax lyrical about.
5. Add tabs to the blog. I think that I need some tabs don’t you? Maybe one for recipes or something. What do you think? Now I just need to figure out how to do that. I see it on other people’s blogs. How hard can it be.
6. Read 100 books again this year. That is about what I average per year but to set the goal higher (which I have done in the past) just doesn’t work.
7. Continue learning more about photography. I am still such a newbie and I look at the pictures that other people take and I just shake my head at what I don’t know. But I am willing to learn. And then I can bore all of you with all the pictures that I take. Aren’t you excited.
So those are the goals this year. Well there are more but I can’t share everything can I? There has to be some mystery about me.