Friday, September 11, 2009

7 Quick Takes (Vol 38)



-1-
So, we all know that today is September 11 and we all know what happened on that day 8 years ago. I don't need to talk about that. What I want to say about this day is that it happens to be the birthday of my two favorite cousins......
Heather and Amanda!!!

That is Heather standing next to me. Amanda is the cutie all the way on the left. Aren't they the cutest thing. Their sister Laura is squished in the middle but it isn't her birthday today so we aren't going to talk about her. Psst Laura, you are my favorite cousin too. Just don't tell the other two.

Yes, I am the oldest cousin. Thank you for pointing that out to me as if I didn't already know that. I changed all of their diapers. Don't let my gray hair fool you, I could take any one of them! But that is beside the point. The point is that today is Heather's and Amanda's birthday.

Ah the stories I could tell....but won't. Happy Birthday my favorite cousins. I love you. And Mander, when are you going to come and live with us again....I have some furniture that needs stripping.

-2-
So, I might have mentioned before that I read a fair amount. Yup, I sure do, although this year has been a little slower in the reading department because of all the other stuff going on. So, I just can't afford to buy all the books that I read and that really would be just plain ridiculous. What would I then do with all those books. So, I use the library and Paperback Book Swap a lot. But, every once in a while, I get hooked on a book and then I just can't wait for the next book in the series to come to me from PBS or the library. I am usually patient but sometimes..... book lust overcomes me. Hangs head in shame and agony
I am not too big into vampire books. Just isn't my thing. I tend to read non-fiction. OK, OK, yes I know that I loved the Twilight series. But that was just an aberation. Just a fluke I tell you.

But someone kept harping on the "Sookie Stackhouse" books and just wouldn't leave it alone so I got the first one, Dead Until Dark not expecting it too be much......and I was hooked dagnabbit! And when I am hooked that means that.....I had to go and find all the rest of the books.....and PURCHASE all the rest of the books. I hang my head in shame.

Or at least I will once I am done reading the books.

-3-
Who are all these cute people you are asking yourself. Well, these are my parents "Lobster Roast" friends. That is my parents on the left. Hi Mimi and Papa! My father would have gotten everyone arranged to his satisfaction, set the timer on the camera and run for his position. Most of the time he gets there without mishap....most of the time.

At any rate, every year for the last 37 years they have gotten together for a lobster roast weekend. Yup, you read that correctly....37 years. I think that is pretty awesome actually. They see each other a fair amount the rest of the year but I think this is about the only time when they are all together because they don't all live in the same area of the country. The weekend has morphed over the years. At one point in time they actually dug a pit and pretended they were in Maine and roasted the lobsters and corn and all that. But it was a BIG pain in the patookis to do it that way so now they just boil the lobster tails and eat the tenderloin and pretty much have a food fest all weekend. Sounds pretty good to me.

-4-
And now for a word from our sponsors....

Well not actually. But I did want to tell you that if anyone needs an illustrator or cartoonist then Cartoon Girl is open for business. She does need to pay the rent after all and she is the fruit of my loins. Yes, HHBL was involved in that too but we don't discuss those things on this family friendly blog.

I told her I would tell you about it, all three of you that actually read the blog. Click on her name to whisk you through the internet to get to her site. She made me do this, she forced me. She gave me the evil "stink eye" over the phone and threatened me with terrible things if I didn't do this for her.

Psst...she is really good.

Now back to our regularly scheduled Quick Takes.

-5-
I am almost ready to say that I am going to "Tweet". I have resisted the call of Twitter for a long time and probably by the time I actually sign up it will be so "last year" and will only be inhabited but retirees who tweet about their experience on the suffleboard court. No trend setter I. Do I want to? I still don't know. I mean really, I don't care what I do all day and I am not sure that anyone else will. Is it just one more thing to add to my already hectic day? What to do, what to do.

To Tweet or not to Tweet, that is the question.

-6-
This was a drawing in the 4H building at the fair. I will admit that it reminds me of me on certain days. Sort of that "Egads my brains are scrambled" look. I am just hoping that this girl was doing her own version of Piccaso because other wise I would be a tad worried about her. How did she know I was going to be at the fair so that she could put up my portrait? Well, all except for the blonde hair of course.

-7-
Hurrah today is my Prayer group breakfast!! Once a month I have a group of friends who get together to share prayer requests amongst each other and to eat large quantities of biscuits at Bob Evans. We have all known each other for a long time and it is a relationship where we can share just about anything. We have been through major depression, job loss, the death of parents, children straying from the Lord, moves, raising kids. A lot of life experiences. I just love these women.

Remember to zoom on over to Conversion Diary for more Quick Takes. I am off to contemplate my navel and how it will be expanding after the bacon, eggs, potatoes and biscuits that I am going to consume soon.

7 comments:

  1. It's quite the birthday day, huh?

    Don't join Twitter. Don't do it!!!!! Resist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, Deb. I won't tell Heather and Amanda. But just remember this: you had to rescue Amanda's car from the middle of an intersection because of gross maintenance neglect, and Heather stuck her chewed gum in your olive. That you then ate. So. Who's your favorite cousin NOW?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Laura..YOU are of course!!! Good times my cousin, good times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy, happy birthday to Heather and Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. twitter...I still haven't figured it out...though I "tweet" (whatever that means).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guilty as charged, on all counts. You were a patient, patient woman having me live with you. That was a great year as I recall. Thanks for birthday posting me. I feel real special right now, even two days after the fact.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guilty as charged, on all counts. You were a patient, patient woman having me live with you. That was a great year as I recall. Thanks for birthday posting me. I feel real special right now, even two days after the fact.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.