Sunday, May 18, 2008


The Pillars of the Earth

Follett, Ken

Knitting Sticks: 5

This was an interesting and absorbing book, and really long at a whopping 973 pages. I don't normally read Ken Follett but this book was recommended by someone that I work out with so I thought I would give it a try.

The Pillars of the Earth tells the story of the building of a cathedral. That is the overall theme. But it also tells the story of all the major people involved in the building. The book spans almost 40 years in the 1100's. That was a violent time, full of war, famine, murder, rape, pillage and civil war. That is all reflected in the story. There were times when it was difficult to read what was happening.

I will also admit that there were times when I was a tad bored with all the detailed descriptions of what goes into building a cathedral. I persevered through those parts but they weren't too interesting to me.

Over all I liked the book but be warned that it is long. Thank goodness it wasn't populated with too many characters.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.