Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Failure of the Baked Bean Kind

My homemade baked beans failed me.....

I don't know what to say.....

The recipe has never failed me before. It has been rock steady, solid, a good if windy friend. But not this time. Oh no, not this time.

I did everything that I always do. I even did it double this time because, well, these were going to be dinner one night this week when we were having company.

I will not be serving these for the company. I will not be serving these for anyone.

Oh don't let their looks fool you, their yummy, delicious, baked beany looks. They are false these baked beans of mine. They may look good but they are not.

They are not soft and yummy, they are firm and not good. They aren't hard as if they are uncooked. They are just not cooked like they should be. And lest you think they haven't been cooking long enough let me disabuse you of that notion.

They have been cooking slowly in the oven all day. I put them in this morning and left for the office. I thought about them all day. I anticipated the time when we would be together again. I longed for them......Yes, well I did! I came home and the first thing I did, even before letting the dog out, was to open the oven and take them out.

I took off the lid...I peeled back the foil. AHHHHHHHHH the smell is ambrosia. Mapley, molassesy goodness. I am salivating like one of Pavlov's dogs. I get a spoon and scoop up a generous helping.

Blow on it to cool it off a bit.

Start to chew....HEY??????? These are like....um.....not good.

Oh wailing and gnashing of teeth. Oh Baked beans all full of onion and bacon and venison how could you let me down.

4 comments:

  1. The pictures make them looks sort of purpley. Beans aren't bean to be purpley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! What did you serve instead? I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gee, that's almost as bad as baking bread and forgetting that final last but all important step of adding the YEAST. I hang my head in shame. I hope they turn out for you next time because I really would like to know how to make these!
    ~Andrea~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...something in the doubling? Sometimes you read recipes that state, "Do not double". Maybe you need to use two casserole bowls??? This is a mystery. Mysteries mean lotsa questions. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SOOO much for commenting. We bloggers, of which I am such a minnow in such a big pond, live for our comments.